Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sir Jalaluddin Lauder Brunton (Statesman and Baronet)

Sir Jalaluddin Lauder Brunton

Statesman and Baronet from England

About the Author:

Sir Jalaludding Lauder Brunton was educated at Oxford University. He
was an English Baronet and a public man of wide repute.

I am deeply grateful for this opportunity of saying a few words as to
why I embraced Islam. I was reared under the influence of Christian
parents. At an early age I became interested in theology. I associated
myself with the Church of England, and took an interest in Mission
work without an actual active part in it. Some years ago I gave my
attention to the doctrine of "Eternal Torment" of all mankind except a
few elect. It became so abhorrent to me that I almost became a
sceptic. I reasoned that, a God that would use His power to create
human beings whom he foreknew and predestinated should be Eternally
Tormented, could be neither wise, just, nor loving. His standard would
be lower than that of many men. I continued, however, to believe in
the existence of God, but was not willing to accept the commonly
understood teachings of God's revelation of Himself to men. I then
turned my attention to the investigation of other religions, only to
feel myself baffled.

An earnest desire to worship and serve the True God grew in me. The
creeds of Christianity claim to be founded on the Bible, but I found
these to be conflicting. Is it possible that Bible and teaching of
Jesus Christ had been misrepresented? So, I turned my attention again
to the Bible and determined to make a careful study, and I felt that
there was something wanting.

I determined to strike out for myself ignoring the creeds of men. I
began to teach that men possessed a "Soul", and an "Unseen Force"
which was immortal, that sins were punished both in this world and in
the next, that God in His Goodness and Mercy was ever ready to forgive
our sins if we only were truly repentant.

Realising the necessity of living up to the Truth and digging deep, so
that I may find the "pearl of great price", I again devoted my time to
the study of Islam. There was something in Islam which appealed to me
at this time. In an obscure and almost unknown corner of the village
Ichhra I was devoting my time and service to God's glory amongst the
lowest classes of society with the earnest desire to uplift them to
the knowledge of the True and only god, and to instil a feeling of
brotherhood and cleanliness.

It is not my intention to tell you as to how I laboured amongst these
people, nor what were the sacrifices I had under-taken nor the extreme
hardships I had undergone. I was simply going on with a singleness of
purpose to benefit these classes both physically and morally.

I eventually took up the study of the life of Prophet Muhammad. I knew
very little of what he did, but I knew and felt that the Christians
with one voice condemned the celebrated Prophet of Arabia. I was now
determined to look into the matter without the spectacles of bigotry
and malice. After a little time I found that it was impossible to
doubt the earnestness of his search after Truth and God.

I felt that it is wrong, in the extreme, to condemn this Holy Man
after reading his great achievements for humanity. People who were
wild idol-worshippers, living on crime, filth and nakedness, he taught
them how to dress, filth was replaced by cleanliness, and they
acquired personal dignity and self-respect, hospitality became a
religious duty, their idols were destroyed and they worship the True
and only one God. Islam became the most powerful Total Abstinence
Association in the world. And many other good works were accomplished
which are too numerous to be mentioned. In the face of all this and
his own purity of mind, how sad to think that such a Holy Messenger of
God should be run down by the Christians. I became deeply thoughtful,
and during my moments of meditation an Indian gentleman named Mian
Amiruddin came on a visit, and strangely enough it was he who fanned
the fire of my life into a flame. I pondered over the matter a great
deal; brought one argument after the other bearing upon the
Christians' present day religion and I concluded in favour of Islam,
feeling convinced of its truth, simplicity, toleration, sincerity and
brotherhood.

I have now but a little time to live upon this earth and I mean to
devote my all to Islam.

From "Islam, Our Choice"