Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric baseboard heater making a noise?

An acqauintance posted the following question on a local news group.
With their permission we are posting it here for your help/comment
please.

Quote:
If any of you could help, I'd appreciate it. Over the past
few days when my baseboard electric heater cuts in, it produces this
really
annoying high pitched whirring sound. Anyone have any idea what is
causing
this or what I can do to stop it? It immediately stops when I turn off
the
heat. Any advice would be appreciated.
End quote.

Further discussion indicates;
a) The heater is fairly new, about 3 years old.
b) The householder installed a programmable (presumably at least a
short time ago).

Comments:
c) AFIK is not next door to any radio station etc. and picking up
radio waves etc.
d) Not sure if our power company here does or does not send out any
kind of signals over their power lines for measuring or controlling
their electrical plant.

Through the local group We have already suggested such things as the
heater being too tightly screwed to the wall etc. But please feel free
to suggest anything that might help pinpoint the annoying sound.

The person would be most grateful for comments or advice. TIA. Stan.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

There are no replaceable parts on the unit. As long as the voltage is
matched to the unit, I'd just replace it. The typical noise is a ticking
sound caused by expansion, but hissing or whining or I had one that sounded
like water dripping, I just replace them.

"terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Jul 10, 5:24 pm, terry wrote:
[...]

could be a vibration can you tell where on the heater its coming from
most that ive installed have a removeable front id inspect it
visually for any thing loose or that might move or vibrate while
heating.