Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12 amp wire size

I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that is
100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Henry wrote:
I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan
that is 100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

http://www.wiktel.com/standards/wiresize.htm

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Henry wrote:
I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that is
100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't
worry a fan much.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Henry wrote:
I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that
is 100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't
worry a fan much.

You could use #14, but there will be a lot of VD at startup, which won't be
too good for the fan.
#12 isn't all that much more expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Henry wrote:
I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that
is 100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't
worry a fan much.

You could use #14, but there will be a lot of VD at startup, ...

How did you determine that, and how much, specifically, are you thinking
is "a lot" for a fractional hp fan motor???

#12 isn't all that much more expensive.

That's true, certainly, and I have pretty much quit using 14, but if
it's a dedicated circuit I don't think there's a chance in the world the
difference would make any practical difference at all.

If, otoh, there's a chance of wanting something else, that would
necessitate it in all likelihood.

#12 isn't all that much more expensive.

You're correct about that, and using 12 gauge might be a wise investment.

Currently Lowes' price for 100 ft of 14 gauge is $36.00 vs. $52.50 for
12 gauge.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Henry wrote:
I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that
is 100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't
worry a fan much.

Borderline on a 15A circuit. 12 ga. would be better. 20 A breaker

Posted to alt.home.repair

Henry wrote:
I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that

is
100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't
worry a fan much.

Ever read the NEC for voltage drop allowances?

Posted to alt.home.repair

12/2 on a 20a breaker will more than suffice.

--
Steve Barker