Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Natural Stone or Tile

To All:

We are going to redo our master bathroom shower and bathroom floor.
Everywhere we go we get different answers. We are looking for
something that looks great and natural, is easy to keep clean and that
will look great for years. Everywhere we go there is a different
answer. Some sat porciline, b ut it just does not look natural. Some
say marble, some travertine, some slate (too dark). We have looked
into the quartz and corian showers but they look like the fiberglass
shower surrounds. Does anyone have any ideas??? Also how did you
prepare the stone? and what is the upkeep? I do not want anything
that will stain.

1. Which is better slate, marlbe, or tracertine for the bathroom?
(we are looking for light colors)

2. What size of tile should go on the shower floor. We have been
told to install 2 by 2 or 1 by 1 inch tile. The other day on the HGTV
channel they showed 12 by 12 inch tiles on the shower floor. Which one
is
correct?
3. Is there a list of grades for natural stone? The reason I am
asking this we have seen marble as low as $3.99 per square foot and as
high as $8.99 per square foot. It could be the stores we have visted
that have a difference in prices?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

2. What size of tile should go on the shower floor. We have been
told to install 2 by 2 or 1 by 1 inch tile. The other day on the HGTV
channel they showed 12 by 12 inch tiles on the shower floor. Which one
is
correct?

Nothing is "correct", it's personal preference. The larger the floor, the
more you will probably prefer larger tile sizes. I don't like 12x12 unless
the area is fairly large, otherwise you get too many cut tiles which just
doesn't look very good. You might also try some different patterns with 3x6
tile (brick, herringbone, etc.) 4x4 or 6x6 would both probably look good.
Smaller tile might too, in the right circumstances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wrote:

To All:

We are going to redo our master bathroom shower and bathroom floor.
Everywhere we go we get different answers. We are looking for
something that looks great and natural, is easy to keep clean and that
will look great for years.

You want it to shampoo the dog for you also?

[...]

I've got a friend who does gorgeous tile and stone work for a living. If
I were in the market for some work like that, I'd start by finding
someone in my area who does design and installation, and consult with
him. The material cost will pale in comparison to the installation cost,
so find a pro and let him develop an overall plan based on the
peculiarities of your jobsite and aesthetic sensibilities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
To All:

We are going to redo our master bathroom shower and bathroom
floor. Everywhere we go we get different answers. We are looking
for something that looks great and natural, is easy to keep clean
and that will look great for years. Everywhere we go there is a
different answer. Some sat porciline, b ut it just does not look
natural. Some say marble, some travertine, some slate (too dark).
We have looked into the quartz and corian showers but they look
like the fiberglass shower surrounds. Does anyone have any
ideas??? Also how did you prepare the stone? and what is the
upkeep? I do not want anything that will stain.

Then you don't want marble/travertine
________________

1. Which is better slate, marlbe, or tracertine for the
bathroom? (we are looking for light colors)

Marble and travertine are basically the same mineral though created in
different ways. Marble is generally a bit harder/denser than
travertine but that varies with where each came from (source, not
store).

Of those three, slate is by far the better choice for hardness and
stain resistance. Not all slate is black or dark grey. There are, of
course, other natural stones...sandstone, quartzite, granitic
variations, etc.

You should also consider how much traction is provided by whatever you
choose. Personally, I would use tile...if you like a stone look,
there are tiles that mimic it quite well.
____________________

2. What size of tile should go on the shower floor. We have
been told to install 2 by 2 or 1 by 1 inch tile. The other day on
the HGTV channel they showed 12 by 12 inch tiles on the shower
floor. Which one is
correct?

Neither is "correct". Small tiles are easier to conform to the
compound slopes of the floor; if using large tiles, they can either be
laid so that edges follow the four lines from shower corners to drain
(which results in a diamond effect) - OR - they can be laid square to
the walls and cut at the slope lines.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. Which is better slate, marlbe, or tracertine for the bathroom?
(we are looking for light colors)

All such natural stones are porous and will pick up dirt and stains
permanently. The lighter the more visible and heartbreaking.

Travertine is truly beautiful when new, but to actually use it is to spoil
that beauty. Save it for walls that nobody touches.

Your easiest solution is to change your aesthetics to perceive porcelain
tile as beautiful. Use it on the floors and wet areas, and decorate
elsewhere with natural stone. The contrast can itself work well for looks.