Posted to alt.home.repair

Default recommendation for basement exterior door

I have a door that goes to the outside from my basement. Right now its a
hollow core door (I know I know, it was there when I bought the place), and
that hollow core door has swollen shut. For the most part I'm inclined to
just let it do nothing, swollen shut it certainly doesn't leak air. But
sooner or later I will want to replace it, door frame and everything.

So when that time comes, assuming the door will be in damp conditions, what
would be better a steel door or a wooden door? I'd be inclined to say
steel, thinking that wood would swell and warp and rot in damp conditions,
but I wonder if steel would just rust. I don't care about looks per se,
just durability and air/water tightness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
So when that time comes, assuming the door will be in damp conditions,
what would be better a steel door or a wooden door? I'd be inclined to
say steel, thinking that wood would swell and warp and rot in damp
conditions, but I wonder if steel would just rust. I don't care about
looks per se, just durability and air/water tightness.

I'd take the steel over wood, but I'd also look at fiberglass. I have no
idea of the relative price though. Masonite makes some nice ones, but
probably more than you'd want for a basement access.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
So when that time comes, assuming the door will be in damp conditions,
what would be better a steel door or a wooden door? I'd be inclined to
say steel, thinking that wood would swell and warp and rot in damp
conditions, but I wonder if steel would just rust. I don't care about
looks per se, just durability and air/water tightness.

I'd take the steel over wood, but I'd also look at fiberglass. I have no
idea of the relative price though. Masonite makes some nice ones, but
probably more than you'd want for a basement access.

Didn't even know they made fiberglass doors. It would certainly be
impervious to the elements, and they seem to be resonably fire-rated. Not
the strongest construction though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I have a door that goes to the outside from my basement. Right now
its a hollow core door (I know I know, it was there when I bought the
place), and that hollow core door has swollen shut. For the most
part I'm inclined to just let it do nothing, swollen shut it
certainly doesn't leak air. But sooner or later I will want to
replace it, door frame and everything.
So when that time comes, assuming the door will be in damp
conditions, what would be better a steel door or a wooden door? I'd
be inclined to say steel, thinking that wood would swell and warp and
rot in damp conditions, but I wonder if steel would just rust. I
don't care about looks per se, just durability and air/water
tightness.

Either wood or steel is good: BOTH require upkeep and keeping painted,
especially along the top, sides and bottom. Wood is repairable after a
number of years, steel not so. Wood is much friendlier if you have an odd
sized doorway to fit.

If you won't do the maintenance, look for other materials; fiberflass,
plastics, etc.; there are lots of th em available at places that carry
basemend/cellar door products.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Didn't even know they made fiberglass doors. It would certainly be
impervious to the elements, and they seem to be resonably fire-rated. Not
the strongest construction though.

Fiberglass doors are a premium product, I really like mine. They are certainly
as strong as a wooden door.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DT" wrote in message
news:8OWdnW7iA58GgBHbnZ2dnUVZ_sLinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Didn't even know they made fiberglass doors. It would certainly be
impervious to the elements, and they seem to be resonably fire-rated. Not
the strongest construction though.

Fiberglass doors are a premium product, I really like mine. They are
certainly
as strong as a wooden door.

--
Dennis

Hmm, well I'll give them a looksee then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 4, 1:12 pm, "Pop`" wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I replaced an odd sized wooden door with a standard size steel door by
cutting about 3 inches off the top. A metal cutting blade in my
circular saw and a clamped on straight edge did the trick just fine.

The door opens to the inside, so I just soaked the exposed foam on top
with polyurethane to seal it and it's been in use for over 20 years
with zero maintenance. I guess it could use a coat of paint, but it's
low on my list of priorities.