Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen sink cabinet liner

We recently installed new cabinets and a new sink. A few years ago we
saw in Lowe's a preformed plastic liner that came in a few sizes that
fit in the bottom of common sink cabinets. What was nice was it had a
small lip about 1 inch high all the way around the liner. That way if
there was a small leak it would catch it and give me enough time to
fix it and the water wouldn't wouldn't ruin the cabinet.

I went to Lowe's the other day and they don't know anything about
them. I've searched the Internet but cannot find them. Does anyone
know about these things and where to get them?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 3, 12:43 pm, Corbett wrote:
We recently installed new cabinets and a new sink. A few years ago we
saw in Lowe's a preformed plastic liner that came in a few sizes that
fit in the bottom of common sink cabinets. What was nice was it had a
small lip about 1 inch high all the way around the liner. That way if
there was a small leak it would catch it and give me enough time to
fix it and the water wouldn't wouldn't ruin the cabinet.

I went to Lowe's the other day and they don't know anything about
them. I've searched the Internet but cannot find them. Does anyone
know about these things and where to get them?

First call a few cabinet shops in your area. The pros are most likely
to know whether such a liner is still in the market.
If you strike out there, take some careful measurements to a sheet
metal shop and have then make you a neat stainless steel liner with
the retaining lip on the edge. A good sheet metal journeyman can cut
and bend one up for you in under 15 minutes. Have the corners spot
welded and put a dab of sealant in them and you have nice waterproof
tray. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Corbett" wrote

We recently installed new cabinets and a new sink. A few years ago we
saw in Lowe's a preformed plastic liner that came in a few sizes that
fit in the bottom of common sink cabinets. What was nice was it had a
small lip about 1 inch high all the way around the liner. That way if
there was a small leak it would catch it and give me enough time to
fix it and the water wouldn't wouldn't ruin the cabinet.

I keep a small basin under the drain area and I have a piece of
linoleum lining the bottom of the cabinet.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Corbett wrote:
We recently installed new cabinets and a new sink. A few years ago we
saw in Lowe's a preformed plastic liner that came in a few sizes that
fit in the bottom of common sink cabinets. What was nice was it had a
small lip about 1 inch high all the way around the liner. That way if
there was a small leak it would catch it and give me enough time to
fix it and the water wouldn't wouldn't ruin the cabinet.

I went to Lowe's the other day and they don't know anything about
them. I've searched the Internet but cannot find them. Does anyone
know about these things and where to get them?

There are so many modular gadgets for kitchen cabinets these days....a
roll-out tray? Or even the lid for a plastic storage bin if the sides
are deep enough. If possible, caulk the seams inside the cabinet and
along the bottom of the fronts. My first "new" home had silicone caulk
around all the baseboards. I didn't figure it out right away, but it
helps keep baseboards from swelling/peeling in event of floods or sloppy
mopping. You could also lay a layer of terry or something absorbent
with a sheet of plastic under it - just check occ. for leaks and wash it
out periodically. It would soak up a good deal of water before it spread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I had really hoped someone knew
where to find the product that Lowes carried a few years ago.

We're going to end up using something like this:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...6&PRODID=67868