Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old July 3rd 07, 02:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?


  #3   Report Post  
Old July 3rd 07, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 521
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

On Jul 3, 9:47 am, " wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?


depending on the timetable and weather, the problem could be if it
takes on dampness and bends from flat to the shape of the porch before
you get to hang it, like the old piece standing in my damp basement.

  #4   Report Post  
Old July 3rd 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,531
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

buffalobill wrote:
On Jul 3, 9:47 am, " wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?


depending on the timetable and weather, the problem could be if it
takes on dampness and bends from flat to the shape of the porch before
you get to hang it, like the old piece standing in my damp basement.


It'll straighten out and dry out if you were to hang it somewhere...

--


  #5   Report Post  
Old July 3rd 07, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,769
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

On Jul 3, 9:47 am, " wrote:
I have a handful of drywall sheets that I will be installing in an
upstairs bedroom. There is no room to store it near the project, so I
put it on my front porch and covered it with several blue tarps. The
porch is sheltered from the rain, although if there is a really heavy
windy rain a little might blow in.

Will this be a problem for the drywall?


Can't tell from here, but even a little water will give the mold
spores (they're everywhere) an opportunity to start growing. Little
*******s!

Keep it dry. I'd have it standing up leaning against the house and as
far from the rain as possible. It should also be up on some wood
blocks so it's not sitting on the porch floor. It'll stay drier and
it's easier to pick up.

R



  #6   Report Post  
Old July 5th 07, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 55
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.
  #7   Report Post  
Old July 5th 07, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,531
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.


Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?

--
  #8   Report Post  
Old July 5th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,769
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.


Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?


I'll answer your question with a question.
Where is this porch?
and another
Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone
dry paper product?

R

  #9   Report Post  
Old July 5th 07, 03:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,531
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.

Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?

My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?


I'll answer your question with a question.
Where is this porch?
and another
Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone
dry paper product?


Not unless it is near 100% RH continuously for quite a long time will it
have any long term detrimental affect. Most places store drywall in
open warehouses, anyway.

--
  #10   Report Post  
Old July 5th 07, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,769
Default Drywall safe to store outside in shelter?

On Jul 5, 10:02 am, dpb wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 9:25 am, dpb wrote:
jtees4 wrote:
Safe for you and your family, yes. For the drywall...probably not.
Temporarily stashed under roof and tarp...not likely any problem. If
"temporary" turns into several months, likelihood increases but still,
if it is protected from direct moisture, what's the difference of where
that is?


My question, I guess, is specifically, what do you think a problem here?


I'll answer your question with a question.
Where is this porch?
and another
Do you think that ambient humidity might have an influence on a bone
dry paper product?


Not unless it is near 100% RH continuously for quite a long time will it
have any long term detrimental affect. Most places store drywall in
open warehouses, anyway.


And the drywall moves. Your first post mentioned that it won't be a
problem for the short term. I agree. But we've all encountered
sliding time scale renovations. I'll get to it _next_ weekend... Of
course that presents the bigger problem.

I also don't see 100% RH in basements and closets around here, but I
do see mold growth. I lived in New Orleans and even short term
storage outdoors would present problems with drywall. You can spit on
the side walk and stuff would start growing. Even relatively short
term storage in a outdoor location that might get wet a bit promotes
mold growth. I don't see the earth ending with a little bit of mold,
but it is a PIA. Better safe than sorry.

R




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepare your Bomb Shelter NOW survivalist@unlisted.com Home Repair 6 March 14th 07 03:18 AM
Bomb shelter, storm shelter, safe room...does any one have one of these in their home? Bret Miller Home Repair 19 October 24th 06 03:20 PM
Tornado shelter/safe room James Lewis Home Repair 15 April 28th 06 06:45 PM
Shelter in Place JimL Home Repair 3 April 18th 05 08:24 PM
How do you use a Fallout Shelter? Colbyt Home Repair 3 January 25th 05 01:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017