Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

Default Free Air is Inferior

The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use
the free air in an emergency, be sure to remove and replace it as soon
as possible afterwards. It's simply not quality air and should not be
used for any length of driving. The rule of thumb is to find the
station that charges the highest price for their air and go there.
The more it costs, the better the air quality.

This important message brought to you by "The National Air Institute"
(NAI) Washington DC.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Jun 25, 1:20 pm, wrote:
The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use
the free air in an emergency, be sure to remove and replace it as soon
as possible afterwards. It's simply not quality air and should not be
used for any length of driving. The rule of thumb is to find the
station that charges the highest price for their air and go there.
The more it costs, the better the air quality.

This important message brought to you by "The National Air Institute"
(NAI) Washington DC.

Probably giving away my age with this one, but does anybody else
remember the Pfister Gas Station chains advertising "pink" air?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

wrote in message

The guy who sold me my monster oxygen free speaker cables with the
gold ends said you should only use argon in your tires ;-)

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on nitrogen
in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use nitrogen in race
cars and aircraft where it has some benefits, so naturally, someone came up
with the idea of selling it to the gullible public as a real value. .

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:48:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message

The guy who sold me my monster oxygen free speaker cables with the
gold ends said you should only use argon in your tires ;-)

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on nitrogen
in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use nitrogen in race
cars and aircraft where it has some benefits, so naturally, someone came up
with the idea of selling it to the gullible public as a real value. .

I'm a airline pilot and I used to fly for a race team..
The only advantages to nitrogen is no Oxy present, dry (easy to have
dry air too.. ) THE reason it's used is compressed cylinder of
Nitrogen, when regulated down to usable pressures, goes a LOOOOONG
way. If you're in pit road,, and using air tools, no compressor is
needed. In Lear jets, a volleyball size/shaped tank at 1700 lbs is
used to "blow" the gear down in an emergency and for emergency
braking.
If the same cubic ft of dry air could be stored in the same size
tank.. that would be used.
Also.. if you're going to pressurize something that has to be
pressurized higher than air compressor system will go safely, you grab
the nitrogen tank...
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:48:28 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on nitrogen
in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use nitrogen in race
cars

They use nitrogen in race tires because they know exactly how much it will
expand as the tire heats up.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

wrote in message
The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use
the free air in an emergency, be sure to remove and replace it as soon
as possible afterwards. It's simply not quality air and should not be
used for any length of driving. The rule of thumb is to find the
station that charges the highest price for their air and go there.
The more it costs, the better the air quality.

Nitrogen is the only gas that should be in your tires! ;)

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/070216.html

Bottled water can come from city taps and BS rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:40:08 -0700, Karl S wrote:

And never drink free water out of fountains. Always buy the expensive
bottled stuff.

I was in Evian, France once. I was just driving through but made a
point to get out of the car and drink from the water fountain. I
presume it was Evian water.

I've heard that bottled water costs between 200 times and 200,000
times what tap water costs.

I've also driven through Mariananske Lasne (Marianbad). I guess we
had parked on the back side, away from the main entrance. We got out
and quickly came across saw the springhouse where everyone was filling
their cups from the pipe there. The cups looked like giant Meerschaum
pipes, in that they were china and had a china tube going to the
bottom of the cup, so people could drink and look straight ahead at
the same time, while walking.

Some 8-year old kid showed us how we could go 20 feet away and get the
same water straight from the stream for free, so we emptied our
canteens and filled it with "health water", my name for it. I was 5
miles awaly before I took my first drink, and it was terrrible, and I
was glad I hadn't paid for it. I had no other source of water for
probably an hour. Commmunist Czechoslovakia wasn't full of 7-11's and
restaurants to buy a drink at, or even many gas stations with
bathrooms and water from the sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

The guy who sold me my monster oxygen free speaker cables with the
gold ends said you should only use argon in your tires ;-)

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on
nitrogen in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use
nitrogen in race cars and aircraft where it has some benefits, so
naturally, someone came up with the idea of selling it to the
gullible public as a real value. .

For $2.00 per tyres I will fill it with 78% Nitrogen.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on
nitrogen in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use
nitrogen in race cars and aircraft where it has some benefits, so
naturally, someone came up with the idea of selling it to the
gullible public as a real value. .

For $2.00 per tyres I will fill it with 78% Nitrogen.

--
Joseph Meehan

Close enough. I'll fax the money.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:32:28 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hmmm,
It does not matter to me. My tires are free air compatible. Read the
label on tires when you buy a set next time.

I checked outside and mine need radial-belted air.

This must be why there are two air hoses at some gas stations.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

PV=nRT applies to air as predictably as it applies to nitrogen. No
advantage to N2 in this regard.
Can't really see an advantage in any regard, esp. not for race cars.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Karl S" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:48:28 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on
nitrogen
in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use nitrogen in
race
cars

They use nitrogen in race tires because they know exactly how much it will
expand as the tire heats up.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on
nitrogen in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use
nitrogen in race cars and aircraft where it has some benefits, so
naturally, someone came up with the idea of selling it to the
gullible public as a real value. .

For $2.00 per tyres I will fill it with 78% Nitrogen.

--
Joseph Meehan

Close enough. I'll fax the money.

Don't forget to fax the tyres as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:20:22 -0400, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

PV=nRT applies to air as predictably as it applies to nitrogen. No
advantage to N2 in this regard.
Can't really see an advantage in any regard, esp. not for race cars.

Air contains water vapor. The percentage of water vapor in air is not
constant. It varies with location, weather conditions, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Jun 25, 2:29 pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:20:04 -0500, wrote:
The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use

That's because they use imported Chinese air, and it's low quality.
Partly because of all the air pollution in parts of China.

Pay the 50 cents and get real American air.

snip

Another problem with the Chinese crap is it causes accidents as the
vehicle keeps trying to go sideways.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Jun 25, 11:20 am, wrote:
The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use
the free air in an emergency, be sure to remove and replace it as soon
as possible afterwards. It's simply not quality air and should not be
used for any length of driving. The rule of thumb is to find the
station that charges the highest price for their air and go there.
The more it costs, the better the air quality.

This important message brought to you by "The National Air Institute"
(NAI) Washington DC.

Even the high priced stuff needs maintenance. It should be standard
practice to change the air in your tires 2X a year. When produced it
is at the proper temperature for the season. If you use winter air in
summer, the pressure rise is incorrect as it was colder when produced.
The summer heat will make the pressure rise further.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:42:49 -0700, Harry K
wrote:

On Jun 25, 2:29 pm, mm wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:20:04 -0500, wrote:
The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use

That's because they use imported Chinese air, and it's low quality.
Partly because of all the air pollution in parts of China.

Pay the 50 cents and get real American air.

Another problem with the Chinese crap is it causes accidents as the
vehicle keeps trying to go sideways.

Sometimes you can use magnets or 12 volt electromagnets to properly
orient** the air molecules, so this doesn't happen.

**Or to occident the air molecules.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:22:25 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

For $2.00 per tyres I will fill it with 78% Nitrogen.
Joseph Meehan

Close enough. I'll fax the money.

Don't forget to fax the tyres as well.

Fax machines are becoming obsolee. If you are going to fill tyres for
a business, get a money modem, or a newer solid and liquid modem.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

wrote in message
The old saying is "you get what you pay for".
The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up
the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to
get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor
quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use
the free air in an emergency, be sure to remove and replace it as soon
as possible afterwards. It's simply not quality air and should not be
used for any length of driving. The rule of thumb is to find the
station that charges the highest price for their air and go there.
The more it costs, the better the air quality.

This important message brought to you by "The National Air Institute"
(NAI) Washington DC.

Personally I prefer dehydrated water, but it is hard to come by when
traveling.

Mike D.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

Pep Boys and Napa were going to carry that. Right along side the
spill absorbant.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
t...
:
:
: Personally I prefer dehydrated water, but it is hard to come by
when
: traveling.
:
: Mike D.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Jun 26, 7:30 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

If you are passing by, stop in. I'll give you several cases left over
from y2k.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

Sell it on Ebay right before the next hurricane down south.
They'll pay top dollar then.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Harry K" wrote in message
ps.com...
:
: Personally I prefer dehydrated water, but it is hard to come
by when
: traveling.
:
: Mike D.
:
: If you are passing by, stop in. I'll give you several cases
left over
: from y2k.
:
: Harry K
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto
mm mm is offline

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: Personally I prefer dehydrated water, but it is hard to come
by when
: traveling.
:
: Mike D.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:07:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sell it on Ebay right before the next hurricane down south.
They'll pay top dollar then.

CAn't they use rain?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

On Jun 27, 3:18 pm, mm wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
:

wrote:
Sell it on Ebay right before the next hurricane down south.
They'll pay top dollar then.

CAn't they use rain?

I suppose it would work to rehydrate the dehydrated water.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.auto

"mm" wrote: (clip) **Or to occident the air molecules.
Sounds like an occident waiting to happen.