DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clearing a culvert drain... (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/204779-clearing-culvert-drain.html)

BlinnPR June 25th 07 02:20 PM

Clearing a culvert drain...

Our culvert drain backs up spilling excess water onto our gravel
driveway. I'm thinking it's mostly dirt clay, twigs and leaves.

I was going to use a snake to clean it out but it's at the base of our
driveway and there is no electric outlet nearby.

Any other sugestions?

TIA,
Steven

[email protected] June 25th 07 02:21 PM

Clearing a culvert drain...

On Jun 25, 9:20?am, BlinnPR wrote:
Our culvert drain backs up spilling excess water onto our gravel
driveway. I'm thinking it's mostly dirt clay, twigs and leaves.

I was going to use a snake to clean it out but it's at the base of our
driveway and there is no electric outlet nearby.

Any other sugestions?

TIA,
Steven

how big in diameter is it?

dpb June 25th 07 02:31 PM

Clearing a culvert drain...

wrote:
On Jun 25, 9:20?am, BlinnPR wrote:
Our culvert drain backs up spilling excess water onto our gravel
driveway. I'm thinking it's mostly dirt clay, twigs and leaves.

I was going to use a snake to clean it out but it's at the base of our
driveway and there is no electric outlet nearby.

Any other sugestions?

TIA,
Steven

how big in diameter is it?

There ya' go--ask a pertinent simple question! Atta' boy, haller... :)
To OP, that's a sidebar joke... :)

If it's relatively large, I'd start by trying to fish out what can be
done from either/both ends and if it isn't totally plugged follow that
w/ a pressure nozzle on a garden hose. Often that will be sufficient.
If the grade is such that there's reasonable access, a cobbled-together
extension of 1/2" copper pipe on the end of the hose can be used as a
combination ram and water cannon. A "nozzle" as simple as simply
flattening the end w/ a hammer can be quite effective.

Edwin Pawlowski June 25th 07 08:49 PM

Clearing a culvert drain...

"BlinnPR" wrote in message
I was going to use a snake to clean it out but it's at the base of our
driveway and there is no electric outlet nearby.

Any other sugestions?

Extension cord? Generator?

Bob F June 26th 07 01:20 AM

Clearing a culvert drain...

"BlinnPR" wrote in message
ps.com...
Our culvert drain backs up spilling excess water onto our gravel
driveway. I'm thinking it's mostly dirt clay, twigs and leaves.

I was going to use a snake to clean it out but it's at the base of
our
driveway and there is no electric outlet nearby.

Any other sugestions?

Manual snake?

Bob

mm June 26th 07 04:41 AM

Clearing a culvert drain...

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:20:10 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"BlinnPR" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our culvert drain backs up spilling excess water onto our gravel
driveway. I'm thinking it's mostly dirt clay, twigs and leaves.

I was going to use a snake to clean it out but it's at the base of
our
driveway and there is no electric outlet nearby.

Any other sugestions?

Manual snake?

Are you crazy. God didn't give us electricity so that we could do
things manually. This is America, for gosh sakes.

But you could be right.

Bob