Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about treated deck care.

We have a large deck made of pressure treated wood. For the first two
years we have not stained or sealed it. We were advised by several
people to wait until it absorbed(rather than repel) water on the
surface before applying any other coating.

Now the question is what to do, if anything. The owner of the
lumberyard where our material came from said that treated wood doesn't
require further staining or sealing. He said that those treatments
are just for appearance. We don't mind it getting weathered looking
but would like to preserve it from rotting. Does pressure treated
wood need further treatment to extend it's life? If so, what is the
best treatment? Is it best to seal or stain? Also, what is the best
stain or seal and what is the best way to prepare the surface? Any
thoughts will be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 8:34?am, (Jack) wrote:
We have a large deck made of pressure treated wood. For the first two
years we have not stained or sealed it. We were advised by several
people to wait until it absorbed(rather than repel) water on the
surface before applying any other coating.

Now the question is what to do, if anything. The owner of the
lumberyard where our material came from said that treated wood doesn't
require further staining or sealing. He said that those treatments
are just for appearance. We don't mind it getting weathered looking
but would like to preserve it from rotting. Does pressure treated
wood need further treatment to extend it's life? If so, what is the
best treatment? Is it best to seal or stain? Also, what is the best
stain or seal and what is the best way to prepare the surface? Any
thoughts will be appreciated.

clean and seal looks better and gets you longer life. the sealing
slows water infiltration into the wood which eventually causes
failure.

in areas that freeze water gets in freezes and expands causing slow
failure

in sunny areas UV damages the wood.

in both cases sealing helps slow the detoriation. eventually all decks
will need replaced

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 6:59 am, " wrote:
On Jun 16, 8:34?am, (Jack) wrote:

[...]

Clean it with a deck cleaner, if its in shade kill mold with bleach.
Transparent or semi transparent oil stain would be best. Cabots is #1
rated in consumer reports