Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR PVR is offline

Default 45 deg cut.

My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"PVR" wrote:

My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

well you could put a triangle between the board and the fence. a plastic
drafting triangle, an adjustable square, or even cut your own from wood
using the mitre box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 1:01 pm, "PVR" wrote:
My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

A circular saw can do a good job on that type of cut. I know you
didn't ask that, just saying. I have used an adjustable tool support
to support the board at the desired angle. That is the only way I
know and it's not any better than a circular saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

PVR wrote:
My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

As Smitty says, the traditional way is to make an auxiliary angle gauge
for the miter gauge. Better than the miter gauge is to make and use a
crosscut sled.

By miter saw, you mean a hand miter box or a power miter saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 10, 1:01 pm, "PVR" wrote:
My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

Maybe you could borrow/buy a radial arm saw. There are still a lot of
these used on job sites for framing. HTH

joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

PVR wrote:
My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I
can get is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62
deg but that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner
cuts for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way
to get pointed cuts also.

For cuts 45, place the board at 90 deg to the normal direction. That is,
to make a 60 degreee cut, set your saw for (90 - 60 =) 30 degrees and place
the board 90 degrees to its normal orientation.

Whether your saw will cut the entire distance generated by a 60 degree line
is another issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:01:24 -0400, "PVR"
wrote:

My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

Next time you are in HD , look in the section with molding/trim, etc.
This book has instructions for builing a "fence" for acute angles
(p.97).

(book shown on this page)

http://www.compoundmiter.com/

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
PVR wrote:
[...]

Buy a bundle of tapered door shims, and put several behind the work, secured
to backstop with a c-clamp or a bolt (if backstop has holes). You will need
to trial-and-error with scrap stock to figure out the right configuration.
If you have one of those adjustable push blocks for the table saw, you can
use it to rip a single block at 15 degrees, to make your 60 cut. The
right-angle approach the other poster described can work for flat stock, if
you clamp a square block in the right place to hold the work securely. I
wouldn't try it with crown mold.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
PVR wrote:
My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

Get a scrap of 3/4" plywood about a foot by 6 inches or whatever
the max width your saw will cut. Set the blade to 60 (30?) degrees and
cut the scrap. Set the blade back to 90d and cut the scrap again
to form a triangle shaped offcut. This offcut will be a 30-60-90
triangle. Put the triangle against the saw fence with the 30d corner
just touching the cut line. Put your workpiece up against the triangle
and clamp it down. Compensate for the 30d when you set the saw angle.
You will likely have to provide some additional support for the work
when using this method.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PVR" wrote in message
My miter saw has +/- 45 deg marks. That is, the max "pointedness" I can

get
is 45 deg. I need to cut a
1" x 2" with a more pointed cut, say about 60 deg. That is, the angle
between the cut and the length should be 60 Deg. (actually about 62 deg

but
that is a matter of trial and error.)

I have tried to use my table saw without much success.

Is there any way I can use my miter saw to get more pointed cuts?
Incidentally I have just learned how to get excellent matching corner cuts
for crown molding on my miter saw. I figure there must be a way to get
pointed cuts also.

Peter.

You can change the orientation of the work relative to the fence to increase
the angle to the blade but practically there is going to be a limit to what
can be cut depending on angle and blade diameter. The easier way in practice
is probably to use a circular saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR PVR is offline

Many great ideas and I shall try most of them.

Many thanks for all the input.

Peter.

45 deg cuts. PVR Woodworking 3 June 10th 07 09:07 PM
45 deg external tiled corner TonyK UK diy 4 April 23rd 07 08:44 PM
Table saw 55 deg chamfer question Mike and Karol Woodworking 14 November 30th 06 05:02 AM
60 deg cut on Mitre Saw scott Woodworking 3 January 14th 05 05:15 AM