DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202528-1-2-perfectly-round-holes-suddenly-found-my-foundation-wall-outside.html)

rank beginner June 1st 07 11:47 PM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

I'd greatly appreciate someone's help with this. This has me worried.
Don't know what the heck these are for. They were never there, just
discovered them this afternoon. They are on a side of the house by the
family room downstairs, and that side of the house abuts a public
park, so a lot of cars park by it. The reason I'm concerned is that
these holes were definitely never there before, and I can only surmise
they were done intentionally. The idea of vandals is disturbing. There
are a lot of visitors, all types of people, almost round the clock who
come to enjoy the park and park their cars on the curb in front of
this side of the house. Theyre were a lot of people on Memorial Day
especially,but there's people all the time on that side of the house.

Anyway, could anyone say if they were done intentionally or if they
are the work of a racoon or other animal. They seem too perfectly
round though, for that. I'd like to post a picture but I'm not sure if
we can do that on this group.

Thanks,

Chris

JoeSpareBedroom June 1st 07 11:49 PM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

"rank beginner" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You can post pictures for free at sites like www.photobucket.com.

What kind of material are we talking about here? Cinder block? Other? How
many holes? Do they go all the way through to the basement?

If the answer to that last question is YES, what did the police say when you
called them?

rank beginner June 2nd 07 12:21 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

I'm going to post the pictures I just took in a minute to the
photobucket site.
The walls aren't cinder block.

JoeSpareBedroom June 2nd 07 12:24 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

"rank beginner" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

I can see this is going to be fun. We now know what the walls are NOT made
of. Can you reveal what they ARE made of?

zxcvbob June 2nd 07 12:34 AM

rank beginner wrote:
[...]

They sound to me like the work of a busy insect.

Bob

Smitty Two June 2nd 07 12:43 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

rank beginner wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking space aliens myself. Anyway, the OP is exaggerating. The
only way to get a perfectly round hole is to use a boring bar.

OK, here's my second WAG. I bet the holes have been there for twenty
years and someone just pruned some bushes or cut some grass that had
hidden them.

rank beginner June 2nd 07 01:36 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

Smitty Two: If you can't think fo anything constructive to say, I'd
appreciate it if you
didn't say anything at all. Thank you.

Here are the links to the pics:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0270.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0271.jpg

close-up of the hole
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0273.jpg

On Jun 1, 7:43 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

rank beginner June 2nd 07 01:38 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

I just posted the link to the pics on photobucket. Why dont you tell
me what the foundation is made of then, smart ass

Chris

On Jun 1, 7:24 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"rank beginner" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jun 1, 6:49 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

roups.com...

rank beginner June 2nd 07 01:42 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

The depth of each of the two holes is approximately 8-9" !! and the
slope of the hole is approximately 25-30 deg

For the moment, I'm in shock at the whole incident. Mulling over it a
bit, I'm also starting to think
about the possible (probable) seepage of water into the foundation/
basement. Added moisture
to the downstairs family room is also a concern now.

I may just alert the police, if indeed this a case of malfeasance.
F**kin vandals.

You just can't trust anyone anymore....so sad.

Anyway, end of rant.

RicodJour June 2nd 07 01:57 AM

On Jun 1, 8:36 pm, rank beginner wrote:
Smitty Two: If you can't think fo anything constructive to say, I'd
appreciate it if you
didn't say anything at all. Thank you.

Here are the links to the pics:http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0271.jpg

close-up of the holehttp://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb241/phungirl/IMG_0273.jpg

Those holes are not new. There's dirt inside them and you can see
where the green line of growth just brushes by the bottom of the
hole. If you've ever drilled in concrete or concrete block you'd know
that you can't drill a hole that deep without creating a lot of dust,
making a crap load of noise, and having the parging chip. Obviously a
vandal would not put down a drop cloth and damp sponge around the hole
just to "surprise" you. That leaves four choices:
1) they are old holes and they were partially or completely covered by
dirt so you never noticed them (most likely)
2) they are old holes and they were parged over long ago, and the
covering popped off long ago (less likely)
3) they were always there, always visible and you just never noticed
them (middling likely)
4) you have the world's most considerate vandal hounding you
(astronomically unlikely)

Richard J Kinch June 2nd 07 01:58 AM

rank beginner writes:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0270.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0271.jpg

A clear match to the standard alien probe diameter.

rank beginner June 2nd 07 02:40 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

hey f**cktard, if you dont want to help,no skin off my back

i'm calling a highly recommended mason tomorrow first th ing.
If it troubles you that you cant take a little gruff from a public
message board
then I'd avise to shut the f**k up and go elsewhere

Chris
Phungirl

Subject: 1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside
From: rank beginner
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:38:04 -0700

I just posted the link to the pics on photobucket. Why dont you tell
me what the foundation is made of then, smart ass

Chris

I was going to try to help but with that attitude you can forget it.

jJim McLaughlin June 2nd 07 02:43 AM

zxcvbob wrote:

rank beginner wrote:

[...]

Bub -

You are a boob.

Those holes have been there a *long* *long* time.

rank beginner June 2nd 07 02:45 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

"1) they are old holes and they were partially or completely covered
by
dirt so you never noticed them (most likely)"

Maybe, and that's a big maybe, because I'm eternally vigilant on the
exterior of my house, have
been for years, and I find it very strange that I didn't notice then
until NOW. I've gone through
that area of the house with a fine tooth comb for the last two years
and never noticed them.
Last summer I surveyed that whole section of the wall, the downspout
area, the paint, and
the chimney area which is just to the right on that same wall. We had
the house painted in
August '06 and had new gutters and downspouts put in early september.
So, while you make
a whole lotta sense, I still say HIGHLY unlikely that they are old and
I just never noticed them.

Let's assume though, that I just never saw them (again, extreeemely
unllikely). So if they're old,
why were they made and who made them?

Chris

Here are the links to the pics:http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...270.jpghttp://...

jJim McLaughlin June 2nd 07 02:49 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation walloutside

rank beginner wrote:

Nothing worth reading, and earned her / him / its self the
short good bye.

PLONK

I'll never again have to read your drivel.

'Bye.

jJim McLaughlin June 2nd 07 02:51 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation walloutside

rank beginner wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS

Let's assume though, that I just never saw them (again, extreeemely
unllikely). So if they're old,
why were they made and who made them?

Chris

Your problem.

With your attitude, we don't care.

rank beginner June 2nd 07 02:51 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

well then, if you are so cocksure, you should be able
to tell me the following:

1) were they drilled or animal-made?
2) if drilled, why were they made?
3) do they present a seepage/moisture threat?

If you're not sure and prefer to be sarcastic or make dumb comments,
please just skip to the next thread. Please. Thank you.

Chris

Clancy Wiggum June 2nd 07 02:52 AM

Meat Plow wrote:

I was going to try to help but with that attitude you can forget it.

With your Usenet record, that is a blessing!

Noozer June 2nd 07 02:55 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

"rank beginner" wrote in message
oups.com...
Smitty Two: If you can't think fo anything constructive to say, I'd
appreciate it if you
didn't say anything at all. Thank you.

Here are the links to the pics:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0270.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0271.jpg

close-up of the hole
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0273.jpg

Ohoh.. Looks like you've got a bad case of concrete beetles. You can see
vegetable matter inside the holes. That's how they nest.

Ivan June 2nd 07 03:12 AM

rank beginner wrote:
I'd greatly appreciate someone's help with this. This has me worried.
Don't know what the heck these are for. They were never there, just
discovered them this afternoon. They are on a side of the house by the
family room downstairs, and that side of the house abuts a public
park, so a lot of cars park by it. The reason I'm concerned is that
these holes were definitely never there before, and I can only surmise
they were done intentionally. The idea of vandals is disturbing. There
are a lot of visitors, all types of people, almost round the clock who
come to enjoy the park and park their cars on the curb in front of
this side of the house. Theyre were a lot of people on Memorial Day
especially,but there's people all the time on that side of the house.

This should help you.
http://tinyurl.com/8thbh

Bob F June 2nd 07 03:15 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

"rank beginner" wrote in message
ups.com...
well then, if you are so cocksure, you should be able
to tell me the following:

1) were they drilled or animal-made?
2) if drilled, why were they made?
3) do they present a seepage/moisture threat?

If you're not sure and prefer to be sarcastic or make dumb comments,
please just skip to the next thread. Please. Thank you.

So you, RANK BEGINNER, drop in here to tell us how to use the
newsgroup?

Maybe you ought to read a little about newsgroup protocol before you
try to play here.

Bob

Doug Miller June 2nd 07 03:19 AM

In article .com, rank beginner wrote:

Here are the links to the pics:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0270.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0271.jpg

close-up of the hole
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...l/IMG_0273.jpg

Those holes have been there for years. You just never noticed them before. The
giveaway is in the closeup photo: the hole is *clearly, obviously* lined with
a metal tube. The tube is corroded. There's dirt inside it. That hole was
not made yesterday or last week, or even last year.

I'm not sure what it's for. My best guess is that it's a weep hole to allow
condensation that may form inside the wall to drain to the outside, but that's
just a guess. One thing I am absolutely sure of, though, is that those holes
are NOT new.

--
Regards,

Smarty June 2nd 07 03:29 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

rank beginner........

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....

Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material and
be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on speculation
regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been paid
to how to remedy them.

Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in
foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something
constructive.....

Smarty

"FM" wrote in message
Meat Plow wrote in
:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:38:04 -0700, rank beginner wrote:

Subject: 1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my
foundation wall outside From: rank beginner
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 17:38:04 -0700

I just posted the link to the pics on photobucket. Why dont you tell
me what the foundation is made of then, smart ass

Chris

I was going to try to help but with that attitude you can forget it.

The OP is trying to have sex with his foundation.

Joy June 2nd 07 03:36 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

The holes look old. They also remind me of holes drilled by exterminators
when they treat for termites.

And nobody did anything to deserve your rude attack. The people here are
trying to help YOU. Do, please, try to be gracious in return.

Joy

Tim Smith June 2nd 07 03:40 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

In article . com,
rank beginner wrote:
round though, for that. I'd like to post a picture but I'm not sure if
we can do that on this group.

Don't post pictures to newsgroups, unless the group is explicitly
labeled as a binary group, or the group charter says it is OK.

However, posting a LINK to a picture is fine in this, and pretty much
every other group. So, put your picture up on a web site somewhere
(such as one of the free photo sharing sites, if you don't have a web
site), and post a link to it.

--
--Tim Smith

[email protected] June 2nd 07 03:49 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

looking so old, they are probably from a termite kill job many years
ago.

That explains the slight downward slope and depth. They were likely
filled with cheap cement thats eroded away.

Some people here are becoming unfriendly, why cant we all get along?

Time to spray holes with water, like garden hose them and fill with
cement.

Over the years I have discovered strange stuff here, usually its not
worth worrying about.

rank beginner June 2nd 07 03:50 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

Thanks you Doug, for your perspicacity, maturity, and insight.
If indeed they are lined with a metal tube, then that is conclusive
proof that they
are old (in spite of the fact that I find it very strange I did not
notice them before).

I will inspect them more closely first thing tomorrow to see if in
fact they are lined
with the aforementioned metal tube.

As for most of the other spastics:
What is it with the net and the usenet that the creeps choose it as
their breeding grounds?

PLONKETY PLONKY PLONK to you to, FU·c·TARDS

rank beginner June 2nd 07 04:04 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

excellent suggestion, Smarty.

As for why so much emphasis on the origin of them - Because I want to
k now if there's any foul play, that's why!!
We actually had a vandal damage the outside foundation wall once
(albeit not the same side of the house).
On that occasion, we heard the loud thump, thought the neighbor had a
mower or other object accidentally
roll into the wall, or something, but discovered somebody took a
hammer to the wall (or maybe just a heavy
blunt object, who knows) and struck the wall, causing a about a 15"
across chip/crack that left a noticeable
indentation. We had to patch it over but the stuff I bought at the
store when dry became a darkish-grey color that makes
it noticeable that it's a patch. We subsequently installed a security
camera on that side of the house. So far, no more
problems.

I just feel that any hole drilled in the side of your house should
arouse suspicion, unless it serves some specific purpose.
We have owned this house for over 30 years (it was my parents house
where I grew up) and we NEVER had these holes
drilled at any time be it for seepage, termites, or any other reason.
Plus, why did I notice them now?? I have raked over the
outside of our home constantly, and justs now see them. However, you
folks have given evidence which strongly suggests
they are indeed old....hmmm....tomorrow I will see if they are lined
with metal.

On Jun 1, 10:29 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
rank beginner........

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....

Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material and
be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on speculation
regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been paid
to how to remedy them.

Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in
foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something
constructive.....

Smarty

"FM" wrote in message

Meat Plow wrote in
:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

rank beginner June 2nd 07 04:11 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

hey, good analysis...
yeah, it would explain the downward slope.
somebody else also said it looked like the ones made
when treating for termites. I can't rule that out now,
it seems sensible and would explain a lot. I'm starting to feel better
that it might not have been maliciousness by someone after all. That
bothered me as much as the actual holes. Still, I never saw them
before
and there's no old crumbled cement pieces anywhere that might have
covered them...hmm....the plot thickens.

Thank you to everyone who sincerely has offered their help
and advice.

And those who think they're being funny with their
infantile comments, already know how I feel about you.
(see my previos posts for more details)

Chris

rank beginner June 2nd 07 04:38 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

yup, sometimes you gotta throw yourself in the gutter...its the only
way
with idiots that gets their respect...I'm sure you understand.

Chris
On Jun 1, 11:18 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:11:19 -0700, rank beginner wrote:
infantile comments

Hi pot, called the kettle black did ya?

Smarty June 2nd 07 04:45 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

rank beginner,

My comment and suggestion was based on the prior replies and consensus that
experienced people here have offered...namely....that the holes are not new,
are placed there deliberately rather than maliciously, and that the "foul
play" and "suspicion" issues have been adequately and exhaustively
addressed.

I personally agree with the comments that holes of this size and depth in
normal foundation materials require considerable drilling effort accompanied
by much noise, a lot of residue, and a much different appearance when
recently drilled compared to what you show in your photos. I have to add
that the notion of vandals taking the time to deliberately drill half inch
holes in your foundation sounds like a topic for Jerry Springer, Comedy
Central, the X-Files, or some combination thereof. Frankly, I think the
forum members here have been generous in withholding skepticism, all things
considered, especially as this thread has been churning for some time. The
"principle of parsimony" and "Occam's Razor" as applied to science and
engineering (and other fields as well) is: ***that the simplest explanation
is generally the correct one***, and weep holes for drainage make a lot of
sense considering where they are located on your wall.

For the reasons stated above, I encouraged you to take this to the next
logical step, a remedy, if indeed you desire one or drop it.

Smarty

On Jun 1, 10:29 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
rank beginner........

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....

Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material
and
be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on
speculation
regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been
paid
to how to remedy them.

Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in
foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something
constructive.....

Smarty

"FM" wrote in message

Meat Plow wrote in
:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

mm June 2nd 07 05:19 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:24:34 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I'm going to post the pictures I just took in a minute to the
photobucket site.
The walls aren't cinder block.

I can see this is going to be fun. We now know what the walls are NOT made
of. Can you reveal what they ARE made of?

They are not made of marble.

Definitely rank. You tell him where to post pictures and then he
insults you.

I think the holes are caused by auger rats. They do this just when
their young are old enough to make it on their own, but still small
enough to fit through the holes. Usually 5 to 10 per litter. In
another 6 weeks they'll be able to drill their own holes. And they
will, throughout the house.

rank beginner June 2nd 07 05:25 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

Smarty, now why didn't someone reply with that kind
of cogency 30 replies ago? Occam was a 12th century
monk who unbeknownst to him, generated his own
special type of metaphysics by attempting to posit only
a nominal one...Anyhooo, back to the topic at hand:

So, if they are indeed were at one time drilled for seepage,
do they need to be plugged? If so, I'd appreicate it if someone
can suggest a specific product that would work for this application.

thanks again,
Chrissy

On Jun 1, 10:29 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
rank beginner........

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....

Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material
and
be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on
speculation
regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been
paid
to how to remedy them.

Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in
foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something
constructive.....

Smarty

"FM" wrote in message

. ..

Meat Plow wrote in
:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski June 2nd 07 05:28 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

"rank beginner" wrote in message
oups.com...
yup, sometimes you gotta throw yourself in the gutter...its the only
way
with idiots that gets their respect...I'm sure you understand.

Nope, it just causes YOU to lose the respect of everyone else. You sure
po'd a lot of people in a very short time. A simple guideline is to post
only messages you'd not mind your sweet old grandmother reading, or your 12
year old daughter. There is never a good reason to show a lack of dignity
and self respect.

Larry W June 2nd 07 05:31 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

Carpenter bees make a hole so perfectly round it looks like it was
drilled. 1/2" dia. is about the size they make too.

RicodJour June 2nd 07 07:08 AM

On Jun 2, 12:25 am, rank beginner wrote:
Smarty, now why didn't someone reply with that kind
of cogency 30 replies ago?

Why do you suspect "vandals" of drilling into your foundation?
Outlandish supposition, outlandish thread.

Occam was a 12th century
monk who unbeknownst to him, generated his own
special type of metaphysics by attempting to posit only
a nominal one...Anyhooo, back to the topic at hand:

Did Occam posit a special type of poster who is paranoid, defensive
and generally insulting while asking strangers for help? Maybe he
also addressed why someone would throw rocks at your house - from the
tone of your posts I think I know the reason.

So, if they are indeed were at one time drilled for seepage,
do they need to be plugged? If so, I'd appreicate it if someone
can suggest a specific product that would work for this application.

Can I? Yes.

mm June 2nd 07 07:19 AM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 21:25:58 -0700, rank beginner
wrote:

Smarty, now why didn't someone reply with that kind
of cogency 30 replies ago?

Because near the start of the thread you posted a silly reply, someone
who had already given you a lot of help gave two lines of sarcasm, you
replied like an ungrateful jerk, and that's what a lot of us decided
you were.

And you were rude and vulgar to other people too.

And you're female? This kind of jerkiness is much less common in
females, so within that segment of people, you must be a double jerk.

On Jun 1, 10:29 pm, "Smarty" wrote:
rank beginner........

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....

Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material
and
be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on
speculation
regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been
paid
to how to remedy them.

Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in
foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something
constructive.....

Smarty

"FM" wrote in message

. ..

Meat Plow wrote in
:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

Big Al June 2nd 07 08:47 AM

"Smarty" wrote in message
rank beginner........

Just to throw my 2 cents in here.....

Why not just fill these holes with some strong and waterproof material and
be done with it? So much of this discussion has been centered on

speculation
regarding the origin of the holes, but little or no attention has been

paid
to how to remedy them.

Possibly a new thread titled: "Best way to fill 1/2 inch holes in
foundation" would move this from being a lot of wasted time to something
constructive.....

Smarty

Termite treatment.

Al

Norminn June 2nd 07 10:03 AM

rank beginner wrote:
I'm going to post the pictures I just took in a minute to the
photobucket site.
The walls aren't cinder block.

Sounds like carpenter bees - sounds goofy, until you see them, because
their holes look just like someone used a 1/2" drill. They are large,
like a bumble bee, and the females sting. First I learned of them was
on this n.g., then shortly after saw them at daughter's house.

[email protected] June 2nd 07 12:31 PM

1/2" perfectly round holes suddenly found on my foundation wall outside

I believe it was holes for termite treatment.

Can probably explain how they just became visible:)

So many years ago they were drilled, and patched. No the patches age
and detoriate. Eventually they are ready to fall apart when a heavy
rain storm comes from a odd direction and washes them away. or someone
sprayed the area with a garden hose.

this explains the particles around the holes, left overs from the
washed out patch material.

so wash the area and holes with a garden hose, and while area is nice
and moist use plain old mortar mix, it will start out lighter but
darken with age.

I am 50, lived here since I was 12.

There are repair projects I have done here I have totally forgotten
about over all this time, life is busy.

termite job was probably his parents.