DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sprinkler head leak (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202510-sprinkler-head-leak.html)

[email protected] June 1st 07 08:28 PM

Sprinkler head leak

I replaced one of my sprinkler head and my problem is that water
constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying. I tried
cleaning around the threads, etc and screw it back on but the leak
does not stop. Is it a faulty head, or something I am doing wrong?

Norminn June 1st 07 09:28 PM

Sprinkler head leak

wrote:
I replaced one of my sprinkler head and my problem is that water
constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying. I tried
cleaning around the threads, etc and screw it back on but the leak
does not stop. Is it a faulty head, or something I am doing wrong?

Two possibilities that I can think of - the head in question is the last
one on the zone, downhill from others, and water drains from the pipe
after it is shut off. o/w, I'm trying to remember...dirt in the
solenoid in the valve, or just a bad solenoid? So long ago, hard to
remember, and I was just the helper holding tools whilst hubby was down
in the hole :o)

mm June 2nd 07 05:19 AM

Sprinkler head leak

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 19:28:23 -0000,
wrote:

I replaced one of my sprinkler head and my problem is that water
constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying. I tried
cleaning around the threads, etc and screw it back on but the leak
does not stop. Is it a faulty head, or something I am doing wrong?

Is this a fire control sprinkler or a plant watering sprinkler?

RicodJour June 2nd 07 07:10 AM

Sprinkler head leak

On Jun 1, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I replaced one of my sprinkler head and my problem is that water
constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying. I tried
cleaning around the threads, etc and screw it back on but the leak
does not stop. Is it a faulty head, or something I am doing wrong?

Depends where it's leaking from. If it's the thread/nipple
connection, use some Teflon tape and see if it fixes it.

Oren June 3rd 07 12:06 AM

Sprinkler head leak

wrote:

water constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying.

Lawn right?

A constant leak will make me look at the zone control valve, the
rubber diaphragm(sp) will become rigid/brittle/debris and not seal
properly.

The downhill sprinkler head will leak the water. If this zone works;
otherwise, I suggest is may not be a solenoid (replace cracked ones).

Buy a kit for the control valve, but I tend to cut them out for
replacement.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Oren June 3rd 07 12:12 AM

Sprinkler head leak

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 23:10:31 -0700, RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 1, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I replaced one of my sprinkler head and my problem is that water
constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying. I tried
cleaning around the threads, etc and screw it back on but the leak
does not stop. Is it a faulty head, or something I am doing wrong?

Depends where it's leaking from. If it's the thread/nipple
connection, use some Teflon tape and see if it fixes it.

I'm talking lawn system here, but if the zone control valve turns off
the zone should not constantly have water for a leak... :)

Rich256 June 3rd 07 03:04 AM

Sprinkler head leak

wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:28 pm, wrote:
I replaced one of my sprinkler head and my problem is that water
constantly leaks from the head even when it is not spraying. I tried
cleaning around the threads, etc and screw it back on but the leak
does not stop. Is it a faulty head, or something I am doing wrong?

Depends where it's leaking from. If it's the thread/nipple
connection, use some Teflon tape and see if it fixes it.

I'm talking lawn system here, but if the zone control valve turns off
the zone should not constantly have water for a leak... :)

--
Oren

Sounds like the control valve is leaking. I have had be as simple as
a grain of sand stuck in the diaphram of the control valve. But a
good idea to have a repair kit available anyway. Simple to replace if
the valve is easily accessible.