DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing Paint Runs (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/202315-removing-paint-runs.html)

Cobalt1254 May 31st 07 01:45 AM

Removing Paint Runs

Hello. I just painted out bathroom cabinents with a semi gloss paint. They
were white oak and looking bad but they took the paint really nice and look
very good. In a couple of spots I put the paint on too heavy and there are
a few runs. What is the best way to remove those runs? I was thinking of
waiting until the paint was 100 percent dry and then using a fine grit
sandpaper to sand them out and then repainting. Is that the way to do it?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Norminn May 31st 07 11:10 AM

Removing Paint Runs

Cobalt1254 wrote:
Hello. I just painted out bathroom cabinents with a semi gloss paint. They
were white oak and looking bad but they took the paint really nice and look
very good. In a couple of spots I put the paint on too heavy and there are
a few runs. What is the best way to remove those runs? I was thinking of
waiting until the paint was 100 percent dry and then using a fine grit
sandpaper to sand them out and then repainting. Is that the way to do it?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

I would use a new razor blade scraper to shave them off when the paint
is cured. Then sand and put one thin coat on the panel that has the
globbies.

Helps when painting vertical surface to brush paint on across the grain
to cover and then run the brush down straight and lightly, top to
bottom. It also helps to keep a small foam brush with mineral spirits
to touch those little drips or pick out a dust particle that shows.

Phisherman May 31st 07 11:32 AM

Removing Paint Runs

On Wed, 30 May 2007 17:45:40 -0700, "Cobalt1254"
wrote:

Hello. I just painted out bathroom cabinents with a semi gloss paint. They
were white oak and looking bad but they took the paint really nice and look
very good. In a couple of spots I put the paint on too heavy and there are
a few runs. What is the best way to remove those runs? I was thinking of
waiting until the paint was 100 percent dry and then using a fine grit
sandpaper to sand them out and then repainting. Is that the way to do it?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Yes. When painting cabinet doors, remove the door, place it flat,
then paint--no runs.