Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best material for patching outside of house

Before painting our house (concrete outside walls), I need to patch
small cracks. What is the best material for this? I'm looking for
something that goes on smooth and actually works. Thnx.
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

harrythehair wrote:
Before painting our house (concrete outside walls), I need to patch
small cracks. What is the best material for this? I'm looking for
something that goes on smooth and actually works. Thnx.
Harry

How old is the home? What part of what country is it located? Is the
outside wall block or poured? How large are the "cracks" (how long, wide
and deep)? How long have they been there and are they growing?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 9:39 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
harrythehair wrote:
Before painting our house (concrete outside walls), I need to patch
small cracks. What is the best material for this? I'm looking for
something that goes on smooth and actually works. Thnx.
Harry

How old is the home? What part of what country is it located? Is the
outside wall block or poured? How large are the "cracks" (how long, wide
and deep)? How long have they been there and are they growing?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

House is in S. Florida (hot & humid) and built in the 50's, cinder
block. Cracks aren't that wide and there's not alot of them. I would
like to paint the house before the rainy season starts (which is
almost too late.)
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
harrythehair wrote:
Before painting our house (concrete outside walls), I need to patch
small cracks. What is the best material for this? I'm looking for
something that goes on smooth and actually works. Thnx.
Harry

How old is the home? What part of what country is it located?
Is the outside wall block or poured? How large are the "cracks"
(how long, wide and deep)? How long have they been there and are
they growing?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

House is in S. Florida (hot & humid) and built in the 50's, cinder
block. Cracks aren't that wide and there's not alot of them. I would
like to paint the house before the rainy season starts (which is
almost too late.)
Harry

While I can think of a lot of possible materials there is a wide range.
I kind of thought you were in the South. Hopefully someone from that area
will have some suggestions. If not try checking at some of the local
hardware stores. Ideally you want a hardware store that has been there
before the Spanish arrived and they original owner is still there. He will
know what is bests. The big box stores may have someone who knows if you
are lucky, but more likely they will have someone who knows what they have
and will point you to whatever sounds good to them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

harrythehair wrote:

Before painting our house (concrete outside walls), I need to patch
small cracks. What is the best material for this? I'm looking for
something that goes on smooth and actually works. Thnx.
Harry

How old is the home? What part of what country is it located? Is the
outside wall block or poured? How large are the "cracks" (how long, wide
and deep)? How long have they been there and are they growing?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

House is in S. Florida (hot & humid) and built in the 50's, cinder
block. Cracks aren't that wide and there's not alot of them. I would
like to paint the house before the rainy season starts (which is
almost too late.)
Harry

I put in a good deal of time in patching and painting when hubby was
building manager of our condo. We bought a bucket of latex stucco patch
at the box store - we used textured (sand) but it is available plain.
Used it for pretty substantial repairs as well as for cracks. Older
building, good deal of hairline cracks, and chinks from being hit by
mowers, etc. We had a hole in the wall where an old fire extinguisher
cabinet had been removed - used a concrete paver and s.p. for "mortar"
and can't tell it isn't original. This was '91 and looks fine. If you
use it heavily, it shrinks so you might need another coat. Let it dry.
Hubby and I made several repairs in preparation for painting
contractor to do the painting. They used a brushable caulk for hairline
cracks, and it looked kind of translucent when it went on. No sign of
it, texture-wise, after painting.

Contractor sprayed on some kind of bleach solution prior to pressure
washing, which I thought was odd. The old paint job was horrible, with
a lot of peeling and mildew under the peeling paint. Six years now and
it still looks great. We had gotten one estimate, with elastomeric
this-and-that which came in at $27,000!!!!!! Pretty scary. We went
with the low bid, $6,000, but in this case I knew when I met the
contractor that he would be "the one". One coat primer, one coat semi.
Two weeks, full time, for prep and painting!

Be sure to follow label, use good brand of paint from a paint store.
Ben Moore my fav., but our condo used Porter. Porter did inspection, as
part of the warranty, to assure prep was done right, but that may be for
commercial accounts. Good deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

harrythehair wrote:

[...]

In this part of Florida, about 99% of structures are concrete block and
stucco, so just about everyone knows the routine ) The only wood
siding around is probably well over 50 years old.

Patching plaster Dan_Musicant Home Repair 2 August 10th 06 12:11 AM
concrete patching Home Repair 1 August 5th 05 10:55 PM
Patching Wall BigWallop UK diy 1 June 14th 05 09:08 AM
Patching A Ceiling? Ron Hubbard Home Repair 6 December 14th 04 03:01 AM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM