DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/201684-c-evaporator-unit%3B-help-please.html)

[email protected] May 23rd 07 09:07 PM

A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

I have a A/C system which suddenly stopped blowing cold air
overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no freon
in the system, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays
for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil.
Bubbles appear where the arrow points at:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wjspm2/p...804394969908/0.

Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the
evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. My
questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? and 2) Is the
quote in range?

Thanks, wjspm

Joseph Meehan May 23rd 07 11:13 PM

A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the
evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. My
questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? and 2) Is the
quote in range?

Thanks, wjspm

Why is it not covered under warranty, or do you mean one of those after
purchase "extended warranties" that are really insurance policies intended
to make big profit for those selling them?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Edwin Pawlowski May 24th 07 03:23 AM

A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a A/C system which suddenly stopped blowing cold air
overnight. Technician I called checks around, says there's no freon
in the system, leak somewhere. He opens up the evaporator box, sprays
for leaks, and tells me there's a leak at the base of the A-coil.
Bubbles appear where the arrow points at:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/wjspm2/p...804394969908/0.

Technician quotes me $800-900 after parts/labor to replace the
evaporator unit, even with the unit still under warranty. My
questions are 1) Do I really need a new evaporator unit? and 2) Is the
quote in range?

Thanks, wjspm

Repairing evap coils on a sealed system is not as simple as a heating coil.
The system has to be filled with an inert gas, (usually nitrogen) before
brazing it, then the system has to be evacuated before some time to get the
moisture out, etc.

If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

[email protected] May 24th 07 05:01 AM

A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are
under warranty, parts only, no labor.

Edwin Pawlowski May 24th 07 11:17 AM

A/C Evaporator Unit; Help Please!

wrote in message
oups.com...
According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are
under warranty, parts only, no labor.

On May 23, 10:23 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What
does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

If the $800 is just for labor, that seems high. I'd call another tech to
check it out.

udarrell May 24th 07 01:33 PM

wrote:

According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are
under warranty, parts only, no labor.

On May 23, 10:23 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

Zyp says: He can fix it! $800 's a bit stiff though. Even in California,
but a good tech can pull it, pressure it, pinpoint it, braze it,
re-install it, evacuate, and charge. What's the big deal? But if it's
full of pin holes.... then a new coil is needed.
-- Zyp - Zephyr

IF he can pinpoint the leak, and its probably on a U bend brazed joint,
he can fix it and it will be fine for a while. Unless Stormy
is working on it. - ftwhd

http://www.udarrell.com/ac-trouble-shooting-chart.html
Additionally to the above, Purge with dry nitrogen, braze flowing it,
and install new filter dryers - udarrell

http://www.udarrell.com/
http://www.udarrell.com/my_pages2.htm ***
http://www.udarrell.com/recognizing_real_enemies.html ***
http://jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html
Reality Is Not An Easy Thing To Be Confronted With, or to Accept!

udarrell May 24th 07 01:36 PM

wrote:

According to the technician both compressor and evaporator units are
under warranty, parts only, no labor.

On May 23, 10:23 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

If it is truly leaking there, it is probably a reasonable price. What does
the warranty cover? Or is that just for the compressor?

Zyp says: He can fix it! $800 's a bit stiff though. Even in California,
but a good tech can pull it, pressure it, pinpoint it, braze it,
re-install it, evacuate, and charge. What's the big deal? But if it's
full of pin holes.... then a new coil is needed.
-- Zyp - Zephyr

ftwhd says, If he can pinpoint the leak, and its probably on a U bend
brazed joint, he can fix it and it will be fine for a while. - ftwhd