Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to pull heavy wire in thin wall

On May 23, 6:15 am, tr wrote:
I need to pull 100 feet of service wire...two 2awg...one 4awg
neutral...and one 6awg ground wire through 100 feet of 1 1/2 inch thin
wall. The heaviest I have ever pulled is 12 awg

What's the best way to pull this through...mostly straight run with a
90 degree up/down of about 8 feet at each end.

I have a number of regular fish lines...but is there a "heavy duty"
fish line for this type of work ?

Any other pointers...tips....will be really appreciated !

Thanks, Tim

Tim-

Pushing is as important as pulling, by having someone coordinate
pushing with your pulling, you'll eliminate a major source of
friction....the wrap around the inner surface of the turns.

There are maximum force levels allowable based on the number & size of
the conductors....pulling too hard can damage the conduit or the
conductors.

I cannot find my ref for max wire pull forces but my recollection is
about 12,000 lbs per square inch of total condcutor area (copper) but
the max pull force is limited to about 4000 lbs per conduit

SO a back hoe or front end loader without a way to measure the force
would be asking for trouble.

These are SWAGS based on my memeory...so verify them before doing
anything

My numbers work out to about 50 lbs per each 12 gage condcutor &
about 500 lbs per each 2 gage condcutor

these numbers seem pretty reasonable.

I would run the fish tape to fish a rope, secure a rag at the rope /
fish tape connection & pre-lube the conduit (heavily) by squirting
lube in ahead of the rage. Pull the rage through & attach the wire
to the rope. Use the rope to pull the wire and again use lube.

Add lube to the conduit after every 10 to 15 feet of pulling. Keep
the conductors clean so you don't introduce dirt to the system.

A guy pulling, a guy pushing & someone to squirt lube as you go would
be ideal.

The lube can be messy but it's worth it!

If you want to get techincal checkout

http://www.electrician2.com/calculat...ctwirepull.htm

you can actually do a pull force calc to get an idea what you'd be
dealing with

cheers
Bob