Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Holding Elect. Tubing Agains House Siding Clapboards ?

Hello:

Will be putting up a plastic tube to hold the wires leading from my deck to
a flood light mounted about 10 feet above it. It's the grey electrical
tubing; not sure what the right terminology for it is.

Will want to clamp it against the siding in a few places.

As the siding is the typical horzontal clapboards, there really isn't a
perfectly flat surface for the typical clamps (the ones that encircle the
tube, and have a screw hole on each side).
Would like to do a really neat job.

Are there special clamps made for this purpose ?
If so, name, and where might be obtained ?

Thanks,
B.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Will be putting up a plastic tube to hold the wires leading from my deck

a flood light mounted about 10 feet above it. It's the grey electrical
tubing; not sure what the right terminology for it is.

PVC conduit.

Will want to clamp it against the siding in a few places.

As the siding is the typical horzontal clapboards, there really isn't a
perfectly flat surface for the typical clamps (the ones that encircle the
tube, and have a screw hole on each side).

Two-hole PVC conduit straps.

Would like to do a really neat job.

Are there special clamps made for this purpose ?
If so, name, and where might be obtained ?

Thanks,
B.

What you have is fine. Install the straps at the high point of the siding
so that they do not pull the conduit in too much. No need to over tighten.
You can predrill the siding with a smaller drill bit to prevent splitting.
Use a long enough #8 sheet metal screw to catch the underlayment.

If you want to get fancy you can use pipe hangers (We call them "Cowboys" in
NJ). Use one screw to secure them in place and then place the conduit in
them and tighten the clamp. Another expensive and unattractive way to go is
to use strut with strut clamps.