DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Strongest glue (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/200975-strongest-glue.html)

Sasha May 17th 07 06:14 PM

Strongest glue

What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

Chris Friesen May 17th 07 06:27 PM

Strongest glue

Sasha wrote:
What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

Your best bet would probably be to strip/sand it down to bare wood and
use a slow-set epoxy (not the 5-minute stuff).

If you don't remove the poly, then it doesn't matter how strong the glue
is since the bond between the poly and the wood is likely to be weaker.

Chris

J.A. Michel May 17th 07 10:24 PM

Strongest glue

"Sasha" wrote in message
ps.com...
What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

30 minute epoxy

** Frank ** May 18th 07 12:41 AM

Strongest glue

"Sasha" wrote in message
ps.com...
What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

The strongest glue I ran across wasn't used as glue but as a two part enamel
paint for an old fiberglass shower tub refinishing job. I had a drop on a
linoleum floor and it couldn't come off without pulling the linoleum apart.
Two part epoxy couldn't stick to the smooth linoleum surface it and could
have come off easily.

Roger May 18th 07 05:30 AM

Strongest glue

"Sasha" wrote in message
ps.com...
What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

Either slow-drying two part epoxy, or polyurethane glue, such as Gorilla.
For epoxy, make sure to mix thoroughly, at least a full minute.
Also, I would sand the poly finish off the lower surface before gluing, at
least rough it up.
Roger

dean May 18th 07 05:48 AM

Strongest glue

On May 18, 12:30 am, "Roger" wrote:
"Sasha" wrote in message

ps.com...

What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

Either slow-drying two part epoxy, or polyurethane glue, such as Gorilla.
For epoxy, make sure to mix thoroughly, at least a full minute.
Also, I would sand the poly finish off the lower surface before gluing, at
least rough it up.
Roger

Gorrila glue. HD.

Bill May 20th 07 08:50 AM

Strongest glue

On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:27:40 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

Sasha wrote:
What's the strongest glue I can use to glue stained polyurethaned wood
to granite counter top? The gluing surface is small, around 1 sqi.

Your best bet would probably be to strip/sand it down to bare wood and
use a slow-set epoxy (not the 5-minute stuff).

If you don't remove the poly, then it doesn't matter how strong the glue
is since the bond between the poly and the wood is likely to be weaker.

Chris

I'd do slow set epoxy after cleaning off the polyurethane, AND cleaning,
or abrading or roughing up the surface of the granite top as well. You
don't say if it's old or new.

--
Bill
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/