Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure treated decks

I know we had a discussion on this board about a year ago. But what was
the verdict? My deck on my newish home is almost a year old. The
Pressure treated wood (wolmanized-Interesting name) says wait a year and
stain to water proof and keep it from aging and greying.

But I seem to remember differing opinions here. As I'm a lazy SOB I'd
rather not do anything I don't need to do.. And beyond that I don't want
to do anything that will hasten the demise of my decks. Most neighbors
in this development do, however, treat theirs..

TIA
Charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

I know we had a discussion on this board about a year ago. But what was
the verdict? My deck on my newish home is almost a year old. The
Pressure treated wood (wolmanized-Interesting name) says wait a year and
stain to water proof and keep it from aging and greying.

But I seem to remember differing opinions here. As I'm a lazy SOB I'd
rather not do anything I don't need to do.. And beyond that I don't want
to do anything that will hasten the demise of my decks. Most neighbors
in this development do, however, treat theirs..

Go to your local library and check out Consumer Reports to find the best,
longest lasting deck treatment. I have had good luck with Cabots pigmented
products. The transparent and semitransparent stains don't last nearly as
well. Over time, PT wood will tend to warp and get splintery, and finally
rot, and deck treatments tend to slow the process, and greatly increase deck
life.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to your local library and check out Consumer Reports to find the best,
longest lasting deck treatment. I have had good luck with Cabots pigmented
products. The transparent and semitransparent stains don't last nearly as
well. Over time, PT wood will tend to warp and get splintery, and finally
rot, and deck treatments tend to slow the process, and greatly increase deck
life.
Roger

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I'm not sure how good modern pressure
treated wood is. I know they are switching from arsenic to copper
treatments, but I have pressure treated stairs on slopes, in the
ground, that are over 25 year old.
Also, last week at our swim club's work party, I applied Thompson's
water seal to picnic tables and it was awful. Stuff was crystallizing
out of it clogging sprayer and when painted on thick was also phase
separating. Probably related to reformulating for VOC's but my point
is you need to shop carefully and be up to date on available products.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On May 16, 7:58 pm, (Charles Pisano) wrote:
I know we had a discussion on this board about a year ago. But what was
the verdict? My deck on my newish home is almost a year old. The
Pressure treated wood (wolmanized-Interesting name) says wait a year and
stain to water proof and keep it from aging and greying.

But I seem to remember differing opinions here. As I'm a lazy SOB I'd
rather not do anything I don't need to do.. And beyond that I don't want
to do anything that will hasten the demise of my decks. Most neighbors
in this development do, however, treat theirs..

TIA
Charles

Absoluty treat the deck. Use a penetrating oil stain like Penofin
which will soak well into the wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've read bad things about Thompson's as well. The PT web site says
wait a year. So my time is about up. And I've read that you should use
something with linseed oil as a base.

Amteco TWP-500 seems like the best I can find when I research it. $35 a
gallon.
I looked on Epinions and found out about Thompsons and TWP there.

I HATE painting/ staining..ugh..