Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maintenance free battery

I hope someone can answer this--- How maintenance free is a
maintenance free battery. I have one in a riding mower that is 2 years
old and most of the time it is dead. I put the charger on it and it is
O.K. untill the next time. How do
you check the specific gravity if you can`t get to the water/acid? What
other maintenance should be done in the future? Thanks all

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 2:24 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:
I hope someone can answer this--- How maintenance free is a
maintenance free battery. I have one in a riding mower that is 2 years
old and most of the time it is dead. I put the charger on it and it is
O.K. untill the next time. How do
you check the specific gravity if you can`t get to the water/acid? What
other maintenance should be done in the future? Thanks all

The main cause of premature demise of batteries of any type in
seasonal equipment is letting it slowly discharge over time while it's
not being used. If you want them to last, get a battery tender,
which will keep it fully charged. Do that and you should get 6 years
out of it. Otherwise, maintenance free totally sealed batteries are
just that and no maintenance is required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 4:08�pm, wrote:
On May 15, 2:24 pm, (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

* I hope someone can answer this--- How maintenance free is a
maintenance free battery. I have one in a riding mower that is 2 years
old and most of the time it is dead. I put the charger on it and it is
O.K. untill the next time. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * How do
you check the specific gravity if you can`t get to the water/acid? What
other maintenance should be done in the future? * Thanks all

The main cause of premature demise of batteries of any type in
seasonal equipment is letting it slowly discharge over time while it's
not being used. * *If you want them to last, get a battery tender,
which will keep it fully charged. *Do that and you should get 6 years
out of it. * Otherwise, maintenance free totally sealed batteries are
just that and no maintenance is required.

you canprobably remove the sticker and pry the real caps off.

yeah sitting over off season kills battery life

you might try chargng it at a few amps for a week dont overheat
battery and add water if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
ups.com:

On May 15, 4:08�pm, wrote:
[...]

few "maintenance-free" batteries are really "sealed";the cell covers are
molded together in a couple of banks and can be lifted and distilled water
added if needed.

a battery tender is what he needs.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 May 2007 14:24:22 -0700, "
wrote:

you canprobably remove the sticker and pry the real caps off.

If you can get the caps off; you can do a gravity check.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:21:16 -0400, mm
wrote:

Are you sure you can't get to the water? They've discussed the

They've disguised them!

battery caps in the last 10 or 20 years, but look for a little slot at
one end of them. If you can open them, fill until the miniscus shows
with steam distilled water.

If you can't, just keep charging the battery before you start the
mower, until you can't stand it anymore. And buy a new one (assuming

Then buy a new one.

the charging system is good.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

voltage at batter charging MUST be at least 13.8 or the alternator or
regulator is bad.

try removing the caps under the label, the battery is bad what do you
have to lose?