Posted to alt.home.repair

Default home made Radiant Barrier

Folks,
Since the benifets of having radiant barriers has been known, I have
decided to become frugal and make some myself.

I bought 500 sq ft of barrier. delivered to me in TX for 85$. form
some company in LA. ie. 17 cent/sq ft

now all the barier does is has aluminium foil for reflecting back the
heat

see this demo

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sks/311130399.html

What I did was , I got a 500 sheet pack from Sam club for 11$.. it is
500 sq ft.
and I got some discarded cardboard, boxes. etc.. mostly from Sams and
stapled the foil sheets to one side.
I am making the cardboard sheets. roughly the size between my drafters
in my attic. 22 inches

Is there any dowside to this.? any extra hazard? will the contact
between the corrugated sheets./cardboard and the foil/drafters. -be an
achilles heel. IS there any REMOTE chace of a fire.

I check and see that the peak temp is like 150. F on the side of the
foil. ie. between the foil and the roof. since that is where all the
heat is radiated back.. I;ll add a pic of my home made sheets.

So I guess. I can bring the cost down for say 100 sq feet self made
for only 3$ plus my labor.
as compared to 17 $ for the barrier delivered

By the way. I checked for installation prices.. it is like 70 cents to
80 cents /sq foot installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This reminds of the many times I have opened up walls in old houses to find
dried and crumbly remains of newspapers that homeowners installed as
insulation. I suggest that you ask your building inspector and your
insurance company what they think of your corrugated paper board radiant
barriers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 8:14 am, wrote:
[...]

Heh heh.. Why not just get some rolls of tin foil and spray cans of
glue and apply shiniest side out. Explore the cost effectiveness of
Dollar Gen or somewhere comparable. Of course foil does'nt absorb
water and could channel a leak downslope making it harder to find.
How's Your attic venting?

Radiant Barrier [email protected] Home Repair 8 July 29th 06 07:51 PM
vapor barrier question with kraft faced batts and radiant barrier foil [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 4th 05 04:39 PM
radiant barrier stevie Home Repair 3 October 4th 05 04:42 PM
Radiant Barrier Help [email protected] Home Ownership 1 April 21st 05 07:30 PM
older home: insulation or radiant barrier? Dan Home Repair 7 March 2nd 04 11:47 PM