Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soldering Question

I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:12 pm, "Jimi" wrote:
I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

I believe it's teflon...and I have never taken or seen anyone take
them apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimi wrote:
I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

I usually put a small wet rag around the
valve part to keep it cool while
soldering the connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nope, just get the heat on, solder it and get the heat off. it'll be fine.

--
Steve Barker

"Jimi" wrote in message

I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I don't think they will come apart without damage.

"Jimi" wrote in message

I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 12:12 am, "Jimi" wrote:
I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

I always do. It's very easy and hardly takes any time at all.
Unscrew the top, drop the guts and solder away.

Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 2:51�pm, " wrote:
On May 10, 12:12 am, "Jimi" wrote:

* *I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? *Jim

* *I always do. *It's very easy and hardly takes any time at all.
Unscrew the top, drop the guts and solder away.

* Jason

i dont believe ball valves can be disassembled

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in message

I have a brass 1" ball valve and wish to solder a copper pipe to it.
After prep etc.. should I take apart the valve before soldering to prevent
the plastic around the ball from melting? Jim

I typically open the valve all the way up and wrap a wet rag around the
valve stem/seat area before soldering. Not sure opening the valve helps
but in any case, this method has worked for me on a number of valves.
I've also switched to MAPP which allows for a much faster heating.
cc