Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap solid playground surfaces for 4-6' height falls?

Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe a year old baby shouldn't be alone on a slide or swing. I remember,
they are fast and quiet.
I don't have any better suggestions.

BetsyB

"markm75" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 12:59 pm, markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Sand, but then you have the problem of animals taking a dump in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Pea gravel, put a heavy layer down. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Actually cedar chips is what you want... Deep, about 6".

Any solid surface will hold nasty things like bird droppings and will
get hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Cedar doesn't splinter or rot, so it's a good choice. You want the
fresh stuff, right out of the grinder, not mulch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
. ..
markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Pea gravel, put a heavy layer down. It seems counterintuitive but it
works.

Yes, it does make for a tolerable landing. However, a 1 year old will eat
it, and older kids will throw it. Sand is rough on knees and attracts
cats, so that is out. I still recommend turf and tall grass. If the divots
bother you, make the swingset movable so you can rotate the wear spots.
Unless this is a multi-kid swingset, the wear should not be too bad.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 6:05 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"George" wrote in message

. ..

markm75 wrote:
[...]

The two parks I take my kids to have the cedar chips and it doesn't
look bad. Cushions the falls ok too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 May 2007 16:55:19 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Screened sand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2007 19:31:01 -0400, George
wrote:

markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Pea gravel, put a heavy layer down. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

Note that sand/gravel works well only if it's fairly uniform in size.
If you use a mixed/random size fill, it will pack down like a
driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Pea gravel, put a heavy layer down. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

Note that sand/gravel works well only if it's fairly uniform in size.
If you use a mixed/random size fill, it will pack down like a
driveway. - Hide quoted text -

The pea gravel sounds interesting.. but yeah.. I'd rather not have a
substance that can be picked up or eaten (lol)...

Sure those rubber pads can get hot, but they are pretty durable and
convienent, but expensive IE: Kid kushion

Those are the ones I was hoping to find cheaper somehow.. or a cheap
way to "emulate" them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
"George" wrote in message
. ..
markm75 wrote:
Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a
swingset etc..

Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for
6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the
clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.

Any thoughts on alternatives?

I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass
than rubber or bark lol

Thanks

Pea gravel, put a heavy layer down. It seems counterintuitive but it
works.

Yes, it does make for a tolerable landing. However, a 1 year old will eat
it, and older kids will throw it.

Somehow I survived it all and it seems to be working well at the
playground down the street.