Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Free I-Pod Give away

Hi
I hope your having a goods day.

If you would like a chance to win a free I-Pod click on this link.

http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=38032009

Hope you win.
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whats the catch ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 May 2007 12:38:54 -0700, martin
wrote:

Whats the catch ?

prostitution :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2 May 2007 12:38:54 -0700, martin
wrote:

Whats the catch ?

I'd expect a pyramid scam. To have that (minuscule) chance, you have
to inflict this scam on others.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-05-02, martin wrote:
Whats the catch ?

The catch is that while what you have to do to get your free iPod
*sounds* simple, it actually turns out to be very hard.

Here's the deal: you have to sign up for an offer from one of the
companies they are promoting, *and* you have to get 5 other people to
sign up for an offer. Then you get your iPod.

The offers will be things like signing up for a one year subscription at
audible.com for $15/month. Note that is worth nearly $200 to Audible,
and so Audible is probably willing to pay $20-40 for that to the site
giving away the free iPods.

So to get your iPod, you have to complete an offer ($20-$40 profit for
them), and get 5 other people to do the same thing. That turns out to
be very hard. The typical person who tries this only ends up getting
maybe one or two other people, if that many, to sign up. The result is
that in most cases, they never have to give away the iPod, and they end
up with the $20-$40 they got for your offer, and similarly for the one
or two other people you bring in.

Occasionally, someone does actually get 5 other people in. Then the
company does ship out the iPod. So in that rare case, they don't make
money--but even there they don't lose much. They'll get $120-$240 on
the 6 completed offers, less whatever the iPod costs them. And like I
said, that is the rare case--in most cases they don't have to cough up
the iPod.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 May 2007 23:48:52 -0000, Tim Smith

On 2007-05-02, martin wrote:
Whats the catch ?

The catch is that while what you have to do to get your free iPod
*sounds* simple, it actually turns out to be very hard.

Here's the deal: you have to sign up for an offer from one of the
companies they are promoting, *and* you have to get 5 other people to
sign up for an offer.

So I was pretty much correct when I said "pyramid scam".

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-05-03, Mark Lloyd wrote:
Here's the deal: you have to sign up for an offer from one of the
companies they are promoting, *and* you have to get 5 other people to
sign up for an offer.

So I was pretty much correct when I said "pyramid scam".

I'd say not. In a pyramid scam, basically everyone early gains, at the
expense of those who come in later. The later people lose because the
pyramid reaches its growth limits, so they can't recruit new people.

In the iPod giveaway, there isn't that kind of bias toward the early
participants. The early participants have just about as difficult a
time fullfilling the conditions as the later participants do.

It's basically just a commissioned sales system, where your commission
is an iPod, which you get if you make 5 sales.

I'd also say its not a scam, as the things they sell all seem to be
legitimate things at legitimate prices. They are simply things that are
expensive enough that they can afford to give away an iPod as a
commission on 5 sales. They are taking advantage of people
underestimating how hard it is to sell 5 expensive items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 May 2007 21:32:14 -0000, Tim Smith
wrote:

On 2007-05-03, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

The "scam" part of it is in the pyramid.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

DIY: Lathe Control Pod (kinda off topic) Greg G. Woodturning 7 October 19th 06 02:10 AM
Need help with possibly defective Fluke 9010a, or pod. Anyone help/repair? Robert Bullock Electronics Repair 5 February 2nd 05 11:09 AM
POD again Old Nick Woodworking 0 July 2nd 04 03:36 PM
POD Old Nick Woodworking 0 July 2nd 04 03:35 PM