Posted to alt.home.repair

Default State water heater question

OK folks...

after spending WAAAAAY too much money (paid a plumber to install it, and
it was a PITA install because of the hack job the PO did) I have a new
water heater upstairs in my garage. This time it has a drip pan and
both the drip pan and the T/P valve drain OUTSIDE not on the upstairs floor!

Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode? I know that
I don't have a socket big enough to fit it (my set only goes to 1" or
1-1/8") - I'd like to pull it to put some anti-sleaze on it and
hopefully I'll remember to inspect it every fall when I drain down the
garage. I did have the plumber put ball valves on both hot and cold
lines as well as the tank drain. He probably thought I was being
anal-retentive but I am hoping never to replace this tank again.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel writes:

Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode?

I would suspect you already own this metrology instrument, or a similar
model, and that you could have applied it in less time than it took to type
in your question:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 10:42 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Nate Nagel writes:
Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode?

I would suspect you already own this metrology instrument, or a similar
model, and that you could have applied it in less time than it took to type
in your question:

I'm pretty sure it should be 1 1/8" I checked mine about a month ago
and think that's
what I used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you try measuring it?

--
Steve Barker

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Did you try measuring it?

Can't, it's recessed into the housing. easiest way to measure would be
to try fitting sockets to it, but my set ends at 1"

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Nate Nagel writes:

Question is, what size is the hex on the top of the anode?

I would suspect you already own this metrology instrument, or a similar
model, and that you could have applied it in less time than it took to type
in your question:

See my reply to Steve, only thing besides a correctly fitting socket
that could measure the hex would be a set of calipers with really long
jaws. It's recessed 1" or more below a hole in the sheet steel top.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel writes:

See my reply to Steve, only thing besides a correctly fitting socket
that could measure the hex would be a set of calipers with really long
jaws. It's recessed 1" or more below a hole in the sheet steel top

Please. Just take an impression or rubbing, and measure that. Or use the
dividers cleverly disguised as ordinary scissors.