Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A CFL light bulb that's similar to the GE Reveal bulbs?

I'd like to switch over to CFL bulbs for the energy savings, but I've really
come to love the GE Reveal bulbs that make my white wallpaper look white.

Are there any CFL bulbs that can do this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Slorik wrote:
I'd like to switch over to CFL bulbs for the energy savings, but I've really
come to love the GE Reveal bulbs that make my white wallpaper look white.

Are there any CFL bulbs that can do this?

Hi,
Sunlight or daylight one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slorik writes:

Are there any CFL bulbs that can do this?

Not possible. Fluorescent light is by nature an uneven spectrum, versus a
even blackbody spectrum from incandescent, filtered to daylight
characteristics by GE Reveal.

The same people who put "natural color rendering" on fluorescent lamps are
the ones who put "quiet" on lawnmowers and "low odor" on mineral spirits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Slorik wrote:
I'd like to switch over to CFL bulbs for the energy savings, but I've
really come to love the GE Reveal bulbs that make my white wallpaper
look white.
Are there any CFL bulbs that can do this?

It is difficult to predict. The different dyes on the wallpaper will
react different. I suggest you buy one and try it. They are not expensive
and around here HD is giving many away.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Slorik wrote:
I'd like to switch over to CFL bulbs for the energy savings, but I've really
come to love the GE Reveal bulbs that make my white wallpaper look white.

Are there any CFL bulbs that can do this?

White paper looks to me white under most lighting. However, I suspect
you may want a color temperature higher than the usual 2700K of compact
fluorescents.

My favorite color for compact fluorescents is 3500K, a "whiter shade of
warm white" (my words). Higher still is widely sensed, inluding by me, to
cause a "dreary gray" effect in most home use.

3500K compact fluorescents inlude:

* N:Vision "Bright White" spirals, available at Home Depot in several
wattages. NOTE - I have heard their 30 watt ones buzz and 27 watt ones
buzz slightly, but I have found their lower wattages to not buzz.

* Westinghouse "Medium White", hard to find, but I have occaisionally seen
it in a small number of hardware stores.

* Sylvania "Daylight" compact fluorescents, at Lowes, mainly to only in 13
watt spirals last time I checked. (NOTE - This is not the usual meaning
of "Daylight" for fluorescent lamp color. It usually means an icy cold to
a outright bluish shade of white.)

* Check electrical/lighting supply shops.

- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Slorik writes:

Are there any CFL bulbs that can do this?

Not possible. Fluorescent light is by nature an uneven spectrum, versus a
even blackbody spectrum from incandescent, filtered to daylight
characteristics by GE Reveal.

The same people who put "natural color rendering" on fluorescent lamps are
the ones who put "quiet" on lawnmowers and "low odor" on mineral spirits.

GE Reveal does not filter to daylight characteristics, but selectively
removes much of the yellow, leaving a gap in the yellow.

A spectrum of a GE Reveal (with red and infrared reading low due to type
of spectrometer sensor) is available at:

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/spectra.htm

The purpose of targeting that slice of yellow for removal is to cause
exaggerated vividness of reds and greens compared to blackbody light of
the same color temperature. With some light removed, Reveal has lower
energy efficiency than other incandescents of same wattage, design voltage
and life expectancy.

Philips TL950 has shown that excellent color rendition is possible even
when the spectrum has spikes and gaps.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

the higher the k rating the whiter the light. i use 26 watt 6400k bulbs
in my house. i use to work in a photo lab and i hate yellow lights. they
are more expensive.

Over-claimed efficiency of CFL energy saving light bulbs gmw UK diy 57 March 2nd 07 10:34 PM
Compact flourescent bulbs with output similar to full spectrum or GE Reveal ? Abe Home Repair 11 May 14th 06 08:43 PM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 09:23 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM