Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Carting materials: Trailer or beater truck, van?

I recently bought a house that's going to need some fairly major updating,
remodeling, etc. I'm not concerned about being able to do the various tasks
involved, most of which I have done before, but this will be the 1st time
I'll need to transport fairly large quantities of materials (like maybe 5-6
interior doors at once, 8+ sheets of drywall, 4x8 sheets of plywood, maybe
some French doors to replace the sliders I want to remove, etc.) & we don't
own a truck. I'm trying to decide between a trailer (to be pulled by my
wife's auto trannied Subaru Impreza) or a beater pickup/van. Up sides of
the trailer would probably be cost & insurance. Downside is I've never
pulled one & would need to learn that. I don't know much about selecting a
truck. Obviously to lay 4x8 sheets flat (not that that's essential, I
guess) , you need 4' between the wheel wells, so we're talking a bigger
model. For a truck I'd be looking at something in the 2-3 grand range (less
for a trailer, I hope), if that's doable. I't doesn't have to be PRETTY ;-)
If anyone has any helpful suggestions about this, especially specific
trailer/truck model suggestions, please share them. I know I could have all
the stuff delivered, but I plan to do this over time as time & $$$ allow, so
I'd prefer to just have the ability to go get what I want w/out having to
deal with repeated deliveries, charges, etc. Also we're new here, so I
don't really have anyone whose truck I could borrow, plus I'd kinda hate to
bug somebody repeatedly even if I did...

Thanks

Dan