Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Sears water softener mystery

I have a Sears water softener that is about 10 years old. About a month
ago, I noticed that it had stopped working. I tried all the things in the
troubleshooting manual (cleaning the ventura housing, making sure all the
tubes were clear, etc.) to no effect. I've concluded that the problem is
that during recharge, the brine is not getting into the resin chamber for
some reason. The brine level does not go down in the main tank during the
recharge phase, and the water coming out of the resin chamber during the
brine-rinse doesn't taste salty. The tube from the brine tank into the
ventura housing is clear, and during the brining phase, I can feel/hear some
kind of movement in the tube and ventura. It just doesn't seem to be
getting into the resin chamber for recharging. I don't think the resin
beads are 'exhausted', because didn't gradually weaken - and also because I
can see that the brine level in the tank isn't falling.

Any ideas? Hopefully, its something I can do myself - I'm guessing that a
repairman will cost about the same as buying a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Gasket inside main valve assembly needs flipping or replacing.
Cleaned venturi? You can get a repair kit for main valve and new Venturi
from Sears.
My softener is ~14 years old and went thru same about 2 years ago.
I went to Sears parts depot and got a kit for ~60.00 CAD.
I am in Alberta Canada. It may cost less in USD down there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Sears water softener mystery - update

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
[...]

You were spot on. I took apart the valve assembly and cleaned everything
and the softener now works great. Thanks!