DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198334-milwaukee-dewalt-hand-drill.html)

The Ranger April 18th 07 07:46 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

Lawrence April 18th 07 08:21 PM

On Apr 18, 1:46 pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

I look for battery performance. My choice is the Pansonic. It is a
12V drill and the battery has a 3.5Ah rating. Maximum torque is
almost 300 ft/lbs. I am not an expert on the numbers but I do know
that the Pansonic kick ass! Here is are links which compare the
numbers. Ah is amp hours and Panasonic has the most! An ampere-hour
(abbreviated as Ah or A-h) is a unit of electric charge. One ampere-
hour is equal to 3600 coulombs (ampere-seconds), and is the amount of
electric charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere for one
hour. Torque is overrated IMHP since my little 12v drill can snap a
drywall screw in half.

The ampere-hour is a unit frequently used in measurements associated
with electrochemical proceses such as electroplating and electrical
batteries. Although it is not a direct measure of the energy in a
battery (like the joule (J) or watt-hour (Wh)), it is a common rating
of how long a battery will last (or in the case of a rechargeable
battery, how long it will last when fully charged).

pansonic:

http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho... =188&CATID=8

heres milwaukee:

http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...ID=188&CATID=8

and dewalt:

http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...ID=188&CATID=8

Zephyr April 18th 07 09:11 PM

"The Ranger" wrote in message
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and have
narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series 14.4V 1/2"
Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/2" 14.4V Cordless
Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and chop
saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

Ford/Chevy

Bud/Miller

Dewalt / XYZ

for a lot of guys its just got to be yellow. ( see the initial popularity a
few years back of those nextel phones among the trades.)

Dave

Chris Friesen April 18th 07 09:37 PM

The Ranger wrote:

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

You may want to consider the Panasonic 15.6V. It did well in reviews.
Alternately, the Ridgid cordless drills offer lifetime battery
replacement if you register the tool with them.

Chris

DB April 18th 07 10:36 PM

"The Ranger" wrote in message
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and have
narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series 14.4V 1/2"
Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/2" 14.4V Cordless
Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and chop
saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

Dewalt 18V. Admittedly I'm biased somewhat because I now buy all Dewalt 18V
cordless tools for battery compatability but I have never had a problem.

Oren April 18th 07 10:47 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:22:12 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

Zephyr wrote:
"The Ranger" wrote in message
[...]

Dave is right. Today, they are probably
all very good. It probably wasn't so 10-15
years ago. So, I'll throw in my
favorite. I like the Bosch 14.4 volt.
It has a 1/2"
chuck and most importantly, the
drill/chuck is a one hand unit. When
the drill is
off, the shaft locks. You don't have to
hold a "back ring" to change bits. In fact,
there is no back ring. I think that one
feature makes the drill. I think they
also make a higher voltage/higher torque
unit, but I've never needed more torque
than the 14.4. I have even used it with
a single arm hole saw with plenty of power.

I have a BOSCH BRUTE 18v HAMMER drill. I picked this drill three years
ago (JAN 04) over a near egual DeWalt. It will drive a 4" screw all
day long. I still have and use the original batteries.

It's heavy; ask the guy walking by my ladder one day, as I dropped it
to my side. Nice "knot" on his head :-)
--
Oren

Lawrence April 19th 07 12:34 AM

On Apr 18, 2:21 pm, Lawrence wrote:
[...]

http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...erings_ID=723&...

heres milwaukee:

http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...erings_ID=-134...

and dewalt:

http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...gs_ID=1173...- Hide quoted text -

From what I can tell, no cordless drill has the battery performance as

the Panasonic, measured in Ah. If it is out there please post the
link.

Lawrence April 19th 07 12:38 AM

On Apr 18, 4:36 pm, "DB" wrote:
"The Ranger" wrote in message

I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and have
narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series 14.4V 1/2"
Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/2" 14.4V Cordless
Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and chop
saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

Dewalt 18V. Admittedly I'm biased somewhat because I now buy all Dewalt 18V
cordless tools for battery compatability but I have never had a problem.- Hide quoted text -

The Panasonic has the best battery performance than any of the others
as measured in Ah. If there is any drill that compares then I
challenge you to post the link.

Bob M. April 19th 07 12:53 AM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
.. .

chuck and most importantly, the drill/chuck is a one hand unit. When the
drill is
off, the shaft locks. You don't have to hold a "back ring" to change
bits. In fact,
there is no back ring. I think that one feature makes the drill.

Got that right! A one-handed chuck is a must-have for me, just like the
keyless chucks that first appeared twenty? years ago.

yourname April 19th 07 02:14 AM

The Ranger wrote:
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

As much of a freak I am about Milwaukee, their cordless stuff is pricey,
and have never heard it is that much better

Bought the Ryobi set and 4 spare batteries for not much more than just
the milwaukee drill

I have 4 corded Milwaukee tools and will keep them forever

Larry W April 19th 07 03:42 AM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

In article . com,
Lawrence wrote:
...snipped...
The Panasonic has the best battery performance than any of the others
as measured in Ah. If there is any drill that compares then I
challenge you to post the link.

Would you rather have 1 amp per hour at 9.6 volts or 1 amp per hour at 18?

Rudy April 19th 07 05:56 AM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My 12V DeWalt drill (actually the batteries, drill was fine) died after 6
yrs.
I just couldnt see replacing the 2 Batts @ $ 50.00 each when I could get
the whole kit for $ 100.00 (later on sale for $ 89) Grrr.

I looked into a DeWalt 18V and found a "OneOnly" last years model (new) one
at HD for $ 199.00

I was walking to the cashier with it when I passed the DW replacement
battery display and saw they were $ 60.00 EACH !

$ 120.00 for Two batteries when they die.. So,

I got a RYOBI 18V Drill alone (Model P220 3 spd w/hammer drill function)
$ 49.97
2 Batts $ 39.00 (for both)
Charger $ 19.97

Total less than $ 110.00 .....less than JUST the batteries for the DW 18.

BTW, I found a DW 12V on sale for $ 89 with a $ 30 rebate so my cost
(finally) for the replacement DW12 Batts ended up being $ 59 for two and I
have a SPARE 12V drill and charger. Ahhh, the games they play..

Edwin Pawlowski April 19th 07 11:35 AM

"Larry W" wrote in message

Would you rather have 1 amp per hour at 9.6 volts or 1 amp per hour at 18?

Neither. The 18V are a bit too hefty for my use, the 9.6 not enough at
times. I have a 14.4 Ryobi (junk) and a 15.6 Panasonic. The weight to
power ratio of the Panasonic is much better, has a better balance in use.
YMMV.

Dean April 19th 07 03:43 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

On Apr 18, 1:46 pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

I just replaced My 8yo 14.4 Milwaukee(still works)with a new one.The
old has seen lots of use and abuse on many jobs.
I think the best advantage Dewalt has is they make a job radio with
built-in charger,otherwise for the general price range I think
Milwaukee has the edge.My faith in the brand started in the mid 80s
when a Milw drywall gun(corded) outlasted the others We tried by far.
I do'nt buy exclusively Milw tools but when I want something to
perform daily for years it's the brand I try to go with.

dpb April 19th 07 05:23 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

On Apr 18, 1:46 pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

1) Red :)
2) Make sure whatever model you choose has the one-piece chuck
3) Personally, hammer option, but depends on the useage/needs

After that, it's a choice of what you intend it for as to size/price/
etc.

Bob G. April 19th 07 05:36 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:46:48 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Milwaukee .... Never ever had a problem with any of their products...

I also own some Dewalt products ...and for the most part have been
happy with them but when it comes to drlls I would go Milwaukee..

Just my opinion...

Bob G

KC April 19th 07 06:16 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

On Apr 18, 11:46 am, "The Ranger" posted:

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Black & Decker, Dewalt, & Porter Cable are owned by the same company &
use many interchangeable parts.

Milwalkee, Ryobi, AEG, DreBo, Homelite and Hoover are all products of
the same Chinese company. That should tell you where the Milwalkee
reputation is headed.

KC

dpb April 19th 07 07:11 PM

On Apr 19, 12:16 pm, KC wrote:
On Apr 18, 11:46 am, "The Ranger" posted:

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Black & Decker, Dewalt, & Porter Cable are owned by the same company &
use many interchangeable parts.

Milwalkee, Ryobi, AEG, DreBo, Homelite and Hoover are all products of
the same Chinese company. That should tell you where the Milwalkee
reputation is headed.

I know what you're implying but believe you're wrong. TTI, the parent
of Milwaukee, etc., isn't really "Chinese" in the sense you're using
it. It is actually based in Hong Kong which is night and day
difference from mainland China despite the UK lease having reverted
political control over the island. The two founders of TTI are a
German and a Hong Kong native educated in UK (Warwick, no less), both
with advanced degrees in engineering and/or business.

Milwaukee itself is still headquartered in Wisconsin and is also their
R&D, manufacturing support, marketing, sales and information systems.
Production facilities are in Greenwood, Jackson and Kosciusko,
Mississippi; Blytheville, Arkansas and Matamoros, Mexico, for US
products. For the products marketed directly in Europe or Asia/
Australia they also build the same products to the same standards
overseas for those markets.

Ryobi pretty much also remains what it always was/is/is intended to be
-- an entry-level low-priced mass-market-targeted product line. To
confuse it and Milwaukee simply because of common ownership is
mistaken analysis.

TTI did begin (in 1985) w/ production facilities in China and began
manufacturing products for Sears in '87, then parlayed that into
acquiring the Ryobi deal w/ HD, then the Ridgid licensing arrangement,
ultimately working their way into the high-end market by the purchase
of AEG and Milwaukee. I see nothing in their operation that indicates
anything other than a desire to continue to succeed as an overall
company and to continue to compete in all market niches. To do that
will require maintaining the brand loyalty the acquired brands have
achieved and that is a stated corporate mission.

(I happen to know most of this from research I did when considering
whether investment was good idea or not a couple of years ago...)

HTH...

Chris Lewis April 19th 07 09:18 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

According to Oren :

I have a BOSCH BRUTE 18v HAMMER drill. I picked this drill three years
ago (JAN 04) over a near egual DeWalt. It will drive a 4" screw all
day long. I still have and use the original batteries.

Mine will also drive 4" screws all day. It's a 12V Dewalt, and
the batteries are more than 10 years old... ;-)

[Tho, they are at the point where I should have the batteries
rebuilt. Cheaper than new batteries, and higher AH.]

There's not a great deal of difference between the high end
drills that contractors use.
--
Chris Lewis,

Oren April 19th 07 09:47 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:18:07 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Oren :

I have a BOSCH BRUTE 18v HAMMER drill. I picked this drill three years
ago (JAN 04) over a near egual DeWalt. It will drive a 4" screw all
day long. I still have and use the original batteries.

Mine will also drive 4" screws all day. It's a 12V Dewalt, and
the batteries are more than 10 years old... ;-)

I was able to use a DeWalt for some time, before I bought my BOSCH.
Done the same job and a solid tool (dropped a couple times from a
ladder). My friend with the DeWalt, went and bought a BOSCH to add to
his tools.

[Tho, they are at the point where I should have the batteries
rebuilt. Cheaper than new batteries, and higher AH.]

I marked and dated my batteries with a perm-felt pen. with the dates.
The only way I knew how old the drill was:-) I see ads on Craigslist
now and then offering to rebuild batteries (in CA). They need the case
for a rebuild They promise a higher AH.

There's not a great deal of difference between the high end
drills that contractors use.

I was in a DeWalt repair center a few months back. Think they had a
36v(?)...

--
Oren

Chris Lewis April 19th 07 10:05 PM

Lewis) wrote:
[Tho, they are at the point where I should have the batteries
rebuilt. Cheaper than new batteries, and higher AH.]

I marked and dated my batteries with a perm-felt pen. with the dates.
The only way I knew how old the drill was:-) I see ads on Craigslist
now and then offering to rebuild batteries (in CA). They need the case
for a rebuild They promise a higher AH.

Check your yellow pages under "Batteries". Chances are you'll
find a rebuilder local to you. Chances are it'll be cheaper than
shipping it off even if the cells are cheaper.

I once managed to find a web site that had, for example, 12v Dewalt
compatible packs from 1.4AH up to almost 3AH (which is rather
higher than my local rebuilder thought possible in Nicad, and you
can't do 12v in lithium).

The 1.4AHs were around $22. The 3AHs were around $75US. Plus
shipping (ouchie across the border), also US, plus taxes. Ick.

Here, new Dewalt 12V XRPs cost ~$80(CDN) at HD. My local rebuild
(2.2AH) cost $60CDN, and it has noticably more power and longevity
than the XRPs.

There's not a great deal of difference between the high end
drills that contractors use.

I was in a DeWalt repair center a few months back. Think they had a
36v(?)...

Did they? Be interesting to see how those things stand up, not
that I'll ever need one. They're just barely available in some
stores so far.

My 12V Dewalt and its two XRPs was a rebuild/return from their
repair center. The "Mastercraft" 12V hammer-drill was a
"overstock" from the repair center (This drill was a relabeled
Black and Decker 12V unit I think). The drill and two 1.7AH bateries
(not quite XRP, but still compatible with the Dewalt) cost me
less than a new XRP battery.
--
Chris Lewis,

patrick mitchel April 19th 07 10:28 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

I was in a DeWalt repair center a few months back. Think they had a
36v(?)...

Did they? Be interesting to see how those things stand up, not
that I'll ever need one. They're just barely available in some
stores so far.

The 36v dewalt system uses a123 batteries- a fairly new tech version of
lithium batteries that has several advantages over lithium ion batteries.
They (a123 systems) are starting to sell them to the r/c electris guys that
potentially can put the packs through hell- pulling huge current from them
and really pushing the charging. From what I've heard on a couple of the rc
groups, they are living up to their performance data. Pat

dpb April 19th 07 10:48 PM

On Apr 19, 4:28 pm, "patrick mitchel" wrote:
I was in a DeWalt repair center a few months back. Think they had a
36v(?)...

Did they? Be interesting to see how those things stand up, not
that I'll ever need one. They're just barely available in some
stores so far.

The 36v dewalt system uses a123 batteries- a fairly new tech version of
lithium batteries that has several advantages over lithium ion batteries.
They (a123 systems) are starting to sell them to the r/c electris guys that
potentially can put the packs through hell- pulling huge current from them
and really pushing the charging. From what I've heard on a couple of the rc
groups, they are living up to their performance data. Pat

What's the weight/size relative to 18V (say)? Seems like pretty soon
we'll need a cart to carry the batteries around. The 18V is enough to
lug around as it is...

Oren April 19th 07 11:12 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

According to Oren :
Lewis) wrote:
[Tho, they are at the point where I should have the batteries
rebuilt. Cheaper than new batteries, and higher AH.]

I marked and dated my batteries with a perm-felt pen. with the dates.
The only way I knew how old the drill was:-) I see ads on Craigslist
now and then offering to rebuild batteries (in CA). They need the case
for a rebuild They promise a higher AH.

Check your yellow pages under "Batteries". Chances are you'll
find a rebuilder local to you. Chances are it'll be cheaper than
shipping it off even if the cells are cheaper.

I hope I have better luck than my trying to get a couple of saw blades
sharpened :-/

One place I called to sharpen saw blades, don't sharpen saw blades.

[...]

I was looking while there, never intending to buy. Never got my hands
on the tool, besides 36v for a home DIY? Not me...

My 12V Dewalt and its two XRPs was a rebuild/return from their
repair center. The "Mastercraft" 12V hammer-drill was a
"overstock" from the repair center (This drill was a relabeled
Black and Decker 12V unit I think). The drill and two 1.7AH bateries
(not quite XRP, but still compatible with the Dewalt) cost me
less than a new XRP battery.

I had been really wanting a 1/2" corded drill for a long, long time
(year+). Needed to stir wall joint compound, 5 gallon paint and still
use outside related to landscape (coring drip lines for trees).

Finally late one night; I stop at the orange store. I picked out a
corded Milwaukee 1/2" heavy duty hammer drill - reduced to $132.00.

I ask the guy to get me one from the shelf. They don't have it. I
needed a drill. So I asked how much for the display model and he don't
even know if he can sell it. Being late at night the supervisor/manger
is likely tired, so I said tell him I will give him $75.00 (no box /
manual / key chuck, etc.) I bought a chuck and enjoy my $85.00 drill.
Got all the documents I'll need off the web site.
--
Oren

KC April 19th 07 11:15 PM

dpb wrote:

I know what you're implying but believe you're wrong. TTI, the parent
of Milwaukee, etc., isn't really "Chinese" in the sense you're using
it.

(snip)
I see nothing in their operation that indicates
anything other than a desire to continue to succeed as an overall
company and to continue to compete in all market niches. To do that
will require maintaining the brand loyalty the acquired brands have
achieved and that is a stated corporate mission.

I know what you're saying, and I hope you're right. But there's been
too many cases to show that things go the other way. For example
Black & Decker buying Dewalt, then using B&D parts in Dewalt products.
Their quality has never been the same. And Delta buying Porter Cable
and ruining the line for many years. I just shudder when I think of
Milwalkee & Ryobi as sister companies under the same upper management,
especially when cost cutting time comes.

KC

Oren April 19th 07 11:42 PM

On 19 Apr 2007 14:48:15 -0700, dpb wrote:

[...]

Wal-Mart shopping carts $200.00! Check Craigslist...

--
Oren

patrick mitchel April 20th 07 02:16 AM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

What's the weight/size relative to 18V (say)? Seems like pretty soon
we'll need a cart to carry the batteries around. The 18V is enough to
lug around as it is...

I went to the dewalt website and it shows a 36v 1/2" drill for 6.9 lb
weight. It also shows a 18v drill 1/2" for 6.1 lb. The a123 cells are rated
at 3.3 volts I think whereas the nimh cells in the 18v are 1.2v per cell.
Pat

Tom Quackenbush April 20th 07 02:22 AM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

Lawrence wrote:
snip

pansonic:
http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho... =188&CATID=8
heres milwaukee:
http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...ID=188&CATID=8
and dewalt:
http://www.7corners.com/7c_store/sho...ID=188&CATID=8

All of those links result in errors for me. I can see the specs for
the Panasonic drill, but not the Milwaukee or Dewalt. I see that the
Panasonic is using a NIMH battery pack, but I don't know about the
other two. I suspect that they might be NiCd.

I'm wondering if you might be comparing NiMH battery powered drills
with NiCd battery powered drills - that would be something of an
apples/oranges comparison.

R,
Tom Q.

dpb April 20th 07 03:39 PM

On Apr 19, 5:15 pm, KC wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

I don't know much of the history of B&D/DeWalt, but Delta didn't buy
Porter Cable.

Rockwell bought both Delta and Porter Cable clear back in the 60s and
sold all the tool manufacturing including Delta and P-C to Pentair in
about 1980. What happened in 2000 or thereabouts was the merging of
corporate offices of companies that have actually had consolidated
ownership for over 40 years.

Chris Lewis April 20th 07 07:19 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

According to Rudy :
I got a RYOBI 18V Drill alone (Model P220 3 spd w/hammer drill function)
$ 49.97
2 Batts $ 39.00 (for both)
Charger $ 19.97

Total less than $ 110.00 .....less than JUST the batteries for the DW 18.

There's a reason for that. The Ryobi is not nearly as robust
as top end drills, and I very much doubt that those batteries have
equivalent capacities or lifetimes.

I understand that Ryobi periodically changes their battery interfacing,
so, if you have to buy more, you may find that the new ones won't fit.

If you look around, you can find "aftermarket" Dewalt compatible
batteries for much less than the Dewalt price. As I recall, I
found one place selling 1.7AH 12V dewalt-compatibles for about
$20 apiece, and they had higher capacity ones (at a higher price).
--
Chris Lewis,

Chris Lewis April 20th 07 07:25 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

According to patrick mitchel :

What's the weight/size relative to 18V (say)? Seems like pretty soon
we'll need a cart to carry the batteries around. The 18V is enough to
lug around as it is...

I went to the dewalt website and it shows a 36v 1/2" drill for 6.9 lb
weight. It also shows a 18v drill 1/2" for 6.1 lb. The a123 cells are rated
at 3.3 volts I think whereas the nimh cells in the 18v are 1.2v per cell.

I've hefted a 36v Dewalt. It's not that much more than a 12v
Dewalt (that's not a light beastie either).

NiCd batteries weigh a lot, and Lithiums are quite a bit lighter.
By going to lithiums in the 36v, it's a _lot_ lighter than the same
voltage in NiCd. The Dewalt 36v pack is probably lighter than some
12-18v NiCd packs.

Aside from way-overkill, the problem I have with the Dewalt 36v is
that the pack is so large, and will get in the way a lot more often.
--
Chris Lewis,

dean April 21st 07 12:11 AM

On Apr 18, 2:46 pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

Just about every workman I've ever seen using them has got a DeWalt. I
have the 18V and its great.

dpb April 21st 07 01:05 AM

On Apr 20, 9:39 am, dpb wrote:
On Apr 19, 5:15 pm, KC wrote:

... And Delta buying Porter Cable and ruining the line for many years. ...

I didn't notice this previously...perhaps you're thinking of the
period in roughly the 70s or so when a line of P-C branded consumer-
grade tools were introduced that were, in fact, pretty much what one
would expect from the name? Actually, that was during the Rockwell
ownership period and had a goodly amount to do w/ the decision to rid
themselves of the whole tool manufacturing portion of their business
resulting in the sale to Pentair.

Tony Hwang April 21st 07 02:49 AM

The Ranger wrote:
I am finally looking at replacing my 13-yo Makita cordless and
have narrowed down my choices to the Milwaukee Compact Series
14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty
1/2" 14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

My experiences have been positive with both companies (sawsall and
chop saw) so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either model.

If you were to purchase one, what would you look for in a
cordless?

Many thanks!

The Ranger
==
"Why don't you go off and talk to yourself?"
"Because I get too many stupid answers."
-- Abbot and Costello, "Hold that Ghost"

Hmmm,
Look at new seires of Bosch.

Rudy April 21st 07 06:59 AM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

There's a reason for that. The Ryobi is not nearly as robust
as top end drills, and I very much doubt that those batteries have
equivalent capacities or lifetimes.

They are lasting most of the day on the job right now

I understand that Ryobi periodically changes their battery interfacing,
so, if you have to buy more, you may find that the new ones won't fit.

Theyre claiming "The One" (18V) standard system will be kept around for
quite a while..
We'll see..at 20 bucks, if they were going to make the change, I'd buy a 6
pack..still cheaper than 2 deWalts

The Ranger April 29th 07 05:29 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

Oren wrote in message
"The Ranger" wrote in message

[snip]
the Milwaukee Compact Series 14.4V 1/2" Driver/Drill
with Clip-Lok or the DeWalt Heavy-Duty 1/2"
14.4V Cordless Compact Drill/Driver Kit .

[snip]
I have a BOSCH BRUTE 18v HAMMER drill. [..]
It's heavy; ask the guy walking by my ladder one day,

[snip]

Which is another point: weight. It sounds like there's little
difference in quality still (which is good).

My Makita was heavier than any of my corded drills and awkward, to
the point that it often compromised me in tight spots (that 10"
handle often didn't fit where I needed it without some effort)
combined with how long I could hold it over my head. There's
nothing quite like the surprise of having something yanked out of
your hand while it's over your head...

I don't have a lot of jobs that require overhead work anymore
(thankfully) but I'd rather not end up with a drill-imprinted logo
across my forehead because it weighs as much as an anvil either.
Which of my two choices is "lighter?" The Milwaukee or DeWalt?

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. It's been excellent
reading.

The Ranger

Chris Lewis April 30th 07 05:34 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

According to The Ranger :

I don't have a lot of jobs that require overhead work anymore
(thankfully) but I'd rather not end up with a drill-imprinted logo
across my forehead because it weighs as much as an anvil either.
Which of my two choices is "lighter?" The Milwaukee or DeWalt?

When it comes down to it, if the drills have the same battery
technology (eg: NiCD), they're going to have about the same
"tiredness" factor given the same quality class and voltage.
Large NiCD battery packs are heavy.

So from the perspective of drilling overhead, a Milwaulkee is
going to tire you out as much as the Dewalt. It might be
a pound or two more or less, but it's _still_ heavy.

So, you're either going to want to minimize the battery size
(is a 12v enough?) or go to something with a lighter battery
technology (eg: Panasonic with lithium).

A 12v "higher end" drill (eg: Milwaulkee, Makita, Dewalt) is
plenty for most non-professional/homeowner situations, up to
and including for example, 3/4" auger bits thru framing lumber
or screwing down 2x deck lumber with 3" #10s (have two batteries
and a 1hour or better charger). The 9.6v ones are reasonable for
lighter duty (eg: driving cabinet hinge screws, small holes).

Non-famous-branded gear (even at 18v or higher), or especially gear
with 12hr chargers are generally very light duty, and some not
even that.
--
Chris Lewis,

David Combs May 25th 07 09:14 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

Stupid idea?

Would it be smart for the manufacturer to have a model
that has the battery fit in a backpack, with a 5' cord
to the device?

(Where the battery could optionally either latch onto the device
itself, or work from the backpack.)

David

Jim Yanik May 25th 07 09:51 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

(David Combs) wrote in
:

Stupid idea?

Would it be smart for the manufacturer to have a model
that has the battery fit in a backpack, with a 5' cord
to the device?

(Where the battery could optionally either latch onto the device
itself, or work from the backpack.)

David

IIRC,one manufacturer already did that;Hitachi,The pack fit on a web-belt.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik May 25th 07 09:54 PM

Milwaukee or DeWalt Hand Drill?

(David Combs) wrote in
:

Stupid idea?

Would it be smart for the manufacturer to have a model
that has the battery fit in a backpack, with a 5' cord
to the device?

(Where the battery could optionally either latch onto the device
itself, or work from the backpack.)

David

To add more,cordless drills today are designed to balance with a battery
pack attached,so a belt-mounted pack would lose that balance.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik