Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutterless in NJ

I've been in my current home about 6-7 years. It's a carriage house style,
basically an oversized garage with living quarters overhead. First story is
cinderblock walls on a slab, second story is woodframe.

The house is 50-60 years old and appears to have never had gutters and
downspouts. There are furrows along the sides from rainwater dripping off
the roof, but they're not very deep. Do I need to worry about structural
problems due to inadequate drainage? What could happen?

Thanx,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 21:05:51 -0400, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote:

I've been in my current home about 6-7 years. It's a carriage house style,
basically an oversized garage with living quarters overhead. First story is
cinderblock walls on a slab, second story is woodframe.

The house is 50-60 years old and appears to have never had gutters and
downspouts. There are furrows along the sides from rainwater dripping off
the roof, but they're not very deep. Do I need to worry about structural
problems due to inadequate drainage? What could happen?

Thanx,
B.

I was told by an inspector, water is a major source of problems in a
house. Mold, soil heaving, etc. Controling the water is a great
choice to prevent any current, or future problems with water
intrusion.

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've been in my current home about 6-7 years. It's a carriage house style,
basically an oversized garage with living quarters overhead. First story is
cinderblock walls on a slab, second story is woodframe.

The house is 50-60 years old and appears to have never had gutters and
downspouts. There are furrows along the sides from rainwater dripping off
the roof, but they're not very deep. Do I need to worry about structural
problems due to inadequate drainage? What could happen?

Thanx,
B.

I was told by an inspector, water is a major source of problems in a
house. Mold, soil heaving, etc. Controling the water is a great
choice to prevent any current, or future problems with water
intrusion.

tom @www.Consolidated-Loans.info

That's correct. Pouring lots of water close to the foundation is
never a good idea
and it's better if you can avoid it. The water can cause problems
with the foundation,
get into basements, and the excess water and splash back can cause rot
of any
wood walls, trim, etc. Houses without gutters usually have longer
roof overhangs so
the water is kept as far as possible from the structure.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I've been in my current home about 6-7 years. It's a carriage house style,
basically an oversized garage with living quarters overhead. First story is
cinderblock walls on a slab, second story is woodframe.

The house is 50-60 years old and appears to have never had gutters and
downspouts. There are furrows along the sides from rainwater dripping off
the roof, but they're not very deep. Do I need to worry about structural
problems due to inadequate drainage? What could happen?

Mostly, the same as what has happened in the last 50 to 60 years.

Do you see any damage? Are there other housees like yours on your
block or within 10 miles? Without shutters? Have you talked to their
owners?

Thanx,
B.