Posted to alt.home.repair
kc kc is offline

Default Need Suggestions on How To Remove Paint From Glass

I have a clear, smooth glass shower door that came from the factory
with painted white stripes on it. I want to remove a couple of the
more narrow stripes as they have deteriorated..

I've tried different types of paint strippers, but none worked. Is
there some kind of polishing compound that might remove the paint
without damaging the glass? Maybe a polishing compound I could use
with a Dremel buffing tool? Or maybe some other method? Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"kc" wrote in news:1176278554.831151.279560
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

I have a clear, smooth glass shower door that came from the factory
with painted white stripes on it. I want to remove a couple of the
more narrow stripes as they have deteriorated..

I've tried different types of paint strippers, but none worked. Is
there some kind of polishing compound that might remove the paint
without damaging the glass? Maybe a polishing compound I could use
with a Dremel buffing tool? Or maybe some other method? Any ideas
would be appreciated.

If it's paint, use a razor scraper. If it's a decal, heat it with a hair
dryer to loosen the glue, then use the scraper.

Most likely it's etched. In that case, use new glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

kc wrote:
I have a clear, smooth glass shower door that came from the factory
with painted white stripes on it. I want to remove a couple of the
more narrow stripes as they have deteriorated..

I've tried different types of paint strippers, but none worked. Is
there some kind of polishing compound that might remove the paint
without damaging the glass? Maybe a polishing compound I could use
with a Dremel buffing tool? Or maybe some other method? Any ideas
would be appreciated.

If paint remover will not remove it, it is probably a baked on finish..
probably would break if you tried to remove it. Less expensive to take
the door to the shop for new glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want the paint remover to work, try using a better paint
remover. What paint remover did you use? That and removing the glass
and placing it do that it's horizontal so that you can more easily let
the paint remover soak in for a good while.