Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My refrigerator bit the dust

I have a side-by-side Jenn-air/Maytag/Whirlpool refrigerator.

My fridge recently started to make a 10 second buzzing sound, ending with a
click. This repeats every 3 minutes. When the buzzing starts, the lights
inside the fridge dim slightly and the compressor is not running. The
buzzing sounds continue indefinitely in 3 minute intervals.

The refrigerator has stopped cooling. The compressor cannot be heard. The
fan(s) are running all the time.

If I turn the fridge off for about one hour, and then turn it on again, the
fans and the compressor come on, and it cools OK. However, after the fridge
has been running OK for an hour, the buzzing/clicking sound starts again and
the compressor stops running.

Would anyone have a clue what might cause this behavior? Is it possible that
the compressor locks up after one hour of running? The fridge is only 2 1/2
years old.

I have a serviceman come out on Thursday but I would like to have an idea
what the problem might be. The basic 2 year warranty has expired, but the 6
year warranty for the compressor is still in force.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I turn the fridge off for about one hour, and then turn it on again, the
fans and the compressor come on, and it cools OK. However, after the fridge
has been running OK for an hour, the buzzing/clicking sound starts again and
the compressor stops running.

The buzzing/clicking that cycles every three minutes is the over
current safety device that shuts the fridge down until
the safety device cools off.

It sounds like the compressor is turning with to much effort or
the motor start capacitor if there is one is not allowing the motor
to have enough torque to start up the compressor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 9:56 pm, "Walter R." wrote:
[...]

see:

http://applianceguru.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:56:03 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

[...]

Mine did that and it was a start themistor unit. Cost me about
$24.00

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your compressor is either totally dead, or needs new start
components. If it's out of warranty, a hard start kit can often
get a bit more life out of an old compressor.

Use the sentence "new Klixon start relay for the compressor, and
a new overload, too" and see what kind of reaction you get.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
[...]