Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uneven Battery Performance

2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes
a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after
about 15 days (30 minutes total).

2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to
power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles
per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!
2,800 minutes?!!?

Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that
shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after
150 minutes.

Go figure, eh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| 2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to
| power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles
| per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!
| 2,800 minutes?!!?

The batteries are most likely not used to power the screen once you get
going. They're just there to provide micropower when the machine isn't in
use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Windswept@home (Jack's Wife, Murriel) wrote in news:46139f43.7531140@news-
60.giganews.com:

2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes
a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after
about 15 days (30 minutes total).

Here you are running a electric motor,drawing lots of current,converting
electrical energy into mechanical energy.

2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to
power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles
per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!
2,800 minutes?!!?

the current draw for the electronics in that machine is very low.
Probably CMOS logic.Maybe a LCD display?

Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that
shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after
150 minutes.

Go figure, eh.

LED displays draw more power than an LCD display.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 8:51 am, Windswept@home (Jack's Wife, Murriel) wrote:
2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes
a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after
about 15 days (30 minutes total).

2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to
power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles
per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!
2,800 minutes?!!?

Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that
shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after
150 minutes.

Go figure, eh.

Well, not knowing what the power draw is, can't do anything but
speculate. And comment that to use disposable batteries to power
a toothbrush shows the power of marketing over sense.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:51:33 GMT, Windswept@home (Jack's Wife,
Murriel) wrote:

2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes
a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after
about 15 days (30 minutes total).

Motion like this takes more than just moving electrons around, I
think. Apparently even LCDs only use a tiny bit to arrange the
crystals, and once they are in place will stay that way with no or
almost no current.

2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to
power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles
per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!
2,800 minutes?!!?

Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that
shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after
150 minutes.

Go figure, eh

I have an AMFM Clock radio from 1972 that uses two 9 volt
alkaline-if-I-have-them batteries for back up if there is an AC power
failure, and they last less than a day.

OTOH, the tiny little battery in a watch will last 5 years.

I don't think the clock radio displays anything at all when it is in
backup mod.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack's Wife, Murriel" Windswept@home wrote in message
2 AA brand-name alkaline batteries will power my toothbrush 2 minutes
a day X 30 days= 60 minutes, tops. Actually, I see a power loss after
about 15 days (30 minutes total).

2 of the same type of batteries in a home exercise ski-machine to
power a monitor that shows time elapsed, calories, distance, and miles
per hour for 180 minutes a week are still in use after three months!!
2,800 minutes?!!?

Yet in a home-exercise air glider machine with a simpler monitor that
shows elapsed time and no. of steps, the readout starts to fade after
150 minutes.

Battery capacity is measured in ampere-hours (Ah). So, if a device requires
1 ampere and the battery is rated at 1 Ah, you'll get an hour of use (1 x 1
= 1). If another device requires only 0.1 amperes, you'll get 10 hours of
use (0.1 x 10 = 1). That's a basic explanation, there are many other
factors.

Performance of TRVs Dave Fawthrop UK diy 6 February 5th 07 10:11 PM
Mortiser performance BD Woodworking 9 July 11th 06 10:22 PM
Stucco underwater performance? wayne Home Repair 2 August 26th 05 06:23 PM
thermal performance model m Ransley Home Repair 0 February 8th 05 04:40 PM
alarm system battery backup, battery replacement question Michael Baugh Home Repair 1 June 19th 04 03:35 PM