Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternatives to fake stone veneer?

The front basement walls on my ranch were covered with fake stone
veneer, which, or course, was riddled with termite pathways.
I've removed most of the cast concrete "stones", and the front of the
hose looks a bit less attractive..

Is anyone aware of a lighter alternative that can be applied with a
tough mastic or construction adhesive? I feel that applying new
ones with mortar invites voids due to incomplete spreading, or ones
opening up later due to thermal expansion.

I suppose another alternative is to seal the top edge only, and
install a termite guard flashing along the bottom edge a few inches
above ground level..
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 2:44 am, Doug Warner wrote:
The front basement walls on my ranch were covered with fake stone
veneer, which, or course, was riddled with termite pathways.
I've removed most of the cast concrete "stones", and the front of the
hose looks a bit less attractive..

Is anyone aware of a lighter alternative that can be applied with a
tough mastic or construction adhesive? I feel that applying new
ones with mortar invites voids due to incomplete spreading, or ones
opening up later due to thermal expansion.

I suppose another alternative is to seal the top edge only, and
install a termite guard flashing along the bottom edge a few inches
above ground level..
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Hi,
I do not believe that putting different stone is going to solve your
problem here is why. Even if you use an alternative adhesive you will
have still have voids left in the grout areas BETWEEN the stones.
Although this WOULD make for a closer to the wall install you could
not get away with avoiding the voids in the joints. I would suggest
take your own advice and install a proper drip cap and flashing as you
have stated. There is another alternative which is becoming popular in
some parts of the Country which is "vertical stamping" in your case
what would be done is a thin coat of material would be applied to the
walls and then it would be "stamped" like you would stamp any other
decorative flatwork....Downside, expensive and although I do not
really care for manufactured stone it looks better than a vertical
stamp job of course there are always exceptions.
http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com
Check out this link http://www.concretenetwork.com/concr...revamps_walls/