Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brown streaks on clothes

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

skid makes on underwear?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"carol" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?

Rust stains? Have you carefully inspected the tub?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"carol" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

How old is the machine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:23:18 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"carol" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

How old is the machine?

6-8 y.o.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 19:23:49 -0500, Harry
wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contacted Whirlpool customer service?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contacted Whirlpool customer service?

A common problem- usually caused by a small nick on something metal inside,
and a growing rust spot. One of many reasons recent washers usually have
non-metallic tubs. Use a mirror and a flashlight to inspect inside of washer
closely. Spot may not be obvious, and only show when tub is off center, like
when spinning out of balance. Pattern comes from the fabric being pressed
against that spot during spin cycle. Nicks can come from a zipper or
bluejean snap or similar, so zipping and buttoning before laundering is a
good idea. If it isn't rust stains, other likely culprit is grease, either
from something in the washer, or some contaminated clothing having a clump
on it. Has washer been worked on recently?

If you find a rust spot, sand down and apply touch-up paint from the
appliance dealer. Some people say a coat of auto wax over the spot works for
awhile.

Having been burned by this before, when using shared commercial machines, I
always inspect my office clothes before putting them in the dryer. Once
baked in, the stains are there forever, but if you catch them when wet, they
sometimes wash out. On towels and such, I don't really care. When I bought
this house, a month later the included washer caught on fire, and luckily
the el cheapo Sams Club replacement has a plastic tub.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpooltop-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of thewasher--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contactedWhirlpoolcustomer service?

Customer service suggested I have a service call. The rep was clueless.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

oups.com...
wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpooltop-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of thewasher--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contactedWhirlpoolcustomer service?

Customer service suggested I have a service call. The rep was clueless.

Unless you put something you shouldn't have in the washer you probably are
leaking gear box oil past a seal into the tub somehow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:15:22 -0400, "DB"
wrote:

roups.com...
wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpooltop-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of thewasher--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contactedWhirlpoolcustomer service?

Customer service suggested I have a service call. The rep was clueless.

Unless you put something you shouldn't have in the washer you probably are
leaking gear box oil past a seal into the tub somehow.

I give your answer a 10! Ah, the seal broke, huh?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3 Apr 2007 12:11:05 -0700, "carol" wrote:

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpooltop-loader,
6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times
crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of thewasher--and if so,
how?
Thanks for any help.

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contactedWhirlpoolcustomer service?

Customer service suggested I have a service call. The rep was clueless.

An you still have brown streaks, all week. It has been a week....

See oil comment from poster.

--
Oren

Streaks in refinished floor Sue Home Repair 2 November 28th 06 04:56 PM
Streaks in refinished floor Sue UK diy 1 November 28th 06 11:25 AM
How to clean aluminum baking pans used for roasting. Black, dark brown, light brown difficult to remove residues. [email protected] Home Repair 12 September 20th 06 12:56 PM
clothes washer shredding clothes anon Home Ownership 4 May 22nd 06 03:21 PM
Streaks in toilet pan frank spencer UK diy 15 April 8th 06 10:16 PM