Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Excessive Frame Gap.

Hi
Not sure if this is the right group to post to. (I'm new to this)
We are currently having our old aluminium windows replaced with upvc.
The fitter put in the first of the two bay windows yesterday but I
noticed the gap between the top of the frame and the bottom of the
openning looked very wide (25mm) I spoke to the company and they said
it was fine and why were filling it with foam. I understand there
needs to be a gap to allow for expansion but this seems excesive.
They keep insisting that there is nothing wrong with the frame but I
am not convinced. Does this gap seem unreasonable to anyone? Should
I insist they put one in of a better fit? This is costing us a lot of
money and I want it right, but I don't know enough about it?

Thanks for any replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 3, 5:21 am, wrote:
Hi
Not sure if this is the right group to post to. (I'm new to this)
We are currently having our old aluminium windows replaced with upvc.
The fitter put in the first of the two bay windows yesterday but I
noticed the gap between the top of the frame and the bottom of the
openning looked very wide (25mm) I spoke to the company and they said
it was fine and why were filling it with foam. I understand there
needs to be a gap to allow for expansion but this seems excesive.
They keep insisting that there is nothing wrong with the frame but I
am not convinced. Does this gap seem unreasonable to anyone? Should
I insist they put one in of a better fit? This is costing us a lot of
money and I want it right, but I don't know enough about it?

Thanks for any replies.

If you check the installation instructions on any commercial window,
you will find the rough in dimension is 1/4" larger than the window
size. That equates to 3.18 mm per side. Certainly there can be
variations in very large assemblies, but in your case someone likely
mismeasured. The proper fix may be to remove the window and build up
the rough opening to permit the nailing flanges more support. Ask to
see the manufacturer's instruction sheet and don't let anyone BS you
about 'it's good enough'. HTH

Joe

excessive electricity usage Jackie UK diy 49 November 12th 06 02:32 PM
How to bridge the gap in wall cavity after fitting new UPVC door + frame Some-Hope! UK diy 1 June 27th 06 11:55 PM
Excessive water runoff JJ Home Repair 1 June 16th 05 03:18 AM
excessive condensation................... Chucky D Home Repair 20 January 24th 05 05:26 PM
AOC 7vlr excessive HV Mike Electronics Repair 14 October 8th 03 08:29 PM