Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Uneven gap on countertops - re using granite

Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long
counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of
an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.

I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even
countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles
installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any
alternative to using a back splash for granite.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dee Dee" wrote:

Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long
counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of
an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.

I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even
countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles
installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any
alternative to using a back splash for granite.

Quarterround or caulking over a backer come to mind. Granite backsplashes have
the same issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dee Dee wrote:
Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long
counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of
an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.

I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even
countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles
installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any
alternative to using a back splash for granite.

Before you go trying to cover it up, do you know what caused the
uneven separation like that? Make sure that there's nothing still
moving before you go putting a bandaid on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "RicodJour" wrote:
Dee Dee wrote:
Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long
counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of
an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.

I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even
countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles
installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any
alternative to using a back splash for granite.

Before you go trying to cover it up, do you know what caused the
uneven separation like that? Make sure that there's nothing still
moving before you go putting a bandaid on it.

I agree. I'd put 100% of my time and effort into finding
the cause of that movement. Fine cracks are one thing
but a quarter inch gap is a very different matter.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 2:37 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
Dee Dee wrote:
Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long
counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of
an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.

I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even
countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles
installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any
alternative to using a back splash for granite.

Before you go trying to cover it up, do you know what caused the
uneven separation like that? Make sure that there's nothing still
moving before you go putting a bandaid on it.

Right. Seems too coincidental that last November-December, we had
grading done sloping the ground away from the house, and drain tiles
put in. During the previous spring-summer months we had heat pumps
put in for each floor (along with propane backup), so the house has
become drier than it ever has been (built abt.1975).

There has been movement before in the same place, but now there seems
to be more, so that I can "see" the gap from the counter to the
drywall.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dee Dee wrote:

Right. Seems too coincidental that last November-December, we had
grading done sloping the ground away from the house, and drain tiles
put in. During the previous spring-summer months we had heat pumps
put in for each floor (along with propane backup), so the house has
become drier than it ever has been (built abt.1975).

There has been movement before in the same place, but now there seems
to be more, so that I can "see" the gap from the counter to the
drywall.

You need to have someone check that whole area for settlement and
foundation cracks. Walls don't pull away from countertops, or
anything else for that matter, unless something is seriously wrong.
It's possible that the countertop is pulling away from the wall, and
that's another matter, probably less serious, but not necessarily so.
Get some knowledgeable eyeballs on the situation asap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I remember reading some time ago about that very problem. If you are in an
area that has winter, sometimes the studs on the inside edge become so dry
while on the outside edge has more moisture plus cold causing them to bow
towards the outside, opening up gaps. In the summer when the humidity is
higher inside the house they usually straighten out. I had this problem but
not as bad as you. It is the same problem that sometimes occurs with roof
trusses.

Most likely it will fix itself in the summer. Do not fill the gap as that
will prevent it from closing up and may cause it to open even more next
winter, you need something that can cover the gap and slide over the granite
as the studs move.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dee Dee wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Dee Dee wrote:
|
| Right. Seems too coincidental that last November-December, we had
| grading done sloping the ground away from the house, and drain tiles
| put in. During the previous spring-summer months we had heat pumps
| put in for each floor (along with propane backup), so the house has
| become drier than it ever has been (built abt.1975).
|
| There has been movement before in the same place, but now there
seems
| to be more, so that I can "see" the gap from the counter to the
| drywall.
|
| You need to have someone check that whole area for settlement and
| foundation cracks. Walls don't pull away from countertops, or
| anything else for that matter, unless something is seriously wrong.
| It's possible that the countertop is pulling away from the wall, and
| that's another matter,
probably less serious, but not necessarily so.

| Get some knowledgeable eyeballs on the situation asap.

thanks for the intro R

it could be as simple as a shim under the cabinets has compressed from
the weight of the granite.That is why you should always scribe the side
panels instead of shimming.

to the OP
was the tile BS put on after the granite or before?
should have been after.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Dee Dee wrote:
| Re Countertops: My wall has pulled out unevenly from two 7' long
| counter tops. IOW, there is a gap starting at one end about 1/16 of
| an inch and ends at 1/4 inch at the other end.
|
| I would assume that the only way to cover this gap and make an even
| countertop would be to use a back splash. As I now have tiles
| installed on the walls and don't want to tear them out, is there any
| alternative to using a back splash for granite.
|
| Before you go trying to cover it up, do you know what caused the
| uneven separation like that? Make sure that there's nothing still
| moving before you go putting a bandaid on it.

there you go again assuming the worst............again
not everything that goes wrong is a "worse case scenario"
and thats "adhesive bandage" to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
|I remember reading some time ago about that very problem. If you are in
an
| area that has winter, sometimes the studs on the inside edge become so
dry
| while on the outside edge has more moisture plus cold causing them to
bow
| towards the outside, opening up gaps. In the summer when the humidity
is
| higher inside the house they usually straighten out. I had this
problem but
| not as bad as you. It is the same problem that sometimes occurs with
roof
| trusses.
|
| Most likely it will fix itself in the summer. Do not fill the gap as
that
| will prevent it from closing up and may cause it to open even more
next
| winter, you need something that can cover the gap and slide over the
granite
| as the studs move.

grout with silicone to match granite color or tile grout color will
remain flexible.|

Granite Countertops Bakpain Home Repair 2 February 27th 06 02:32 AM
Granite Countertops Ajax Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 04:28 PM
Granite Countertops Don Phillipson Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 01:40 AM
Granite Countertops Steve B Home Repair 0 February 22nd 06 12:29 AM
Granite countertops Joe Home Repair 8 November 17th 05 03:18 AM