DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Digging a hole (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194990-digging-hole.html)

Terry March 14th 07 07:21 AM

Digging a hole

I have always heard that when the moon is in phases two things can
happen.

You will either get dirt left over or not enough dirt to recover the
hole.

Well yesterday I had plenty left over. I am glad of that.

Harry K March 14th 07 02:11 PM

Digging a hole

On Mar 14, 12:21 am, Terry wrote:
I have always heard that when the moon is in phases two things can
happen.

You will either get dirt left over or not enough dirt to recover the
hole.

Well yesterday I had plenty left over. I am glad of that.

When I dig, I always have just enough dirt (heaped up) to fill it back
in and it will be almost level when it sinks. But then I use tarps to
pile the spill on - no loss of dirt and it is a _lot_ easier to
backfill from a tarp than from a pile on grass.

Harry K

Steve B March 14th 07 05:56 PM

Digging a hole

"Terry" wrote in message
I have always heard that when the moon is in phases two things can
happen.

You will either get dirt left over or not enough dirt to recover the
hole.

Well yesterday I had plenty left over. I am glad of that.

I always have parts left over when I disassemble something, then put it back
together. I guess I'd better pay attention to the moon's phase.

Steve ;-)

mm March 14th 07 06:22 PM

Digging a hole

On 14 Mar 2007 07:11:26 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Mar 14, 12:21 am, Terry wrote:
I have always heard that when the moon is in phases two things can
happen.

You will either get dirt left over or not enough dirt to recover the
hole.

Well yesterday I had plenty left over. I am glad of that.

When I dig, I always have just enough dirt (heaped up) to fill it back
in and it will be almost level when it sinks. But then I use tarps to
pile the spill on - no loss of dirt and it is a _lot_ easier to
backfill from a tarp than from a pile on grass.

I usually have a little more dirt than the hole will take, but I solve
that problem by digging the hole a little deeper.

Harry K

DanG March 14th 07 11:27 PM

Digging a hole

How does that work out? You dig a 6" hole, keep all the dirt on
plywood or something, install a 4x4 post, and put all the dirt
back in the hole. Something just doesn't tally, though I have
seen it happen more than once.

Somethings just don't compute.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Harry K March 15th 07 03:16 AM

Digging a hole

wrote:

On Mar 14, 12:21 am, Terry wrote:
I have always heard that when the moon is in phases two things can
happen.

You will either get dirt left over or not enough dirt to recover the
hole.

Well yesterday I had plenty left over. I am glad of that.

When I dig, I always have just enough dirt (heaped up) to fill it back
in and it will be almost level when it sinks. But then I use tarps to
pile the spill on - no loss of dirt and it is a _lot_ easier to
backfill from a tarp than from a pile on grass.

I usually have a little more dirt than the hole will take, but I solve
that problem by digging the hole a little deeper.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

But digging it a little wider would work too and it is usually easier
to widen vice deepen a hole ;).

Harry K

Harry K March 15th 07 03:18 AM

Digging a hole

On Mar 14, 4:27 pm, "DanG" wrote:
How does that work out? You dig a 6" hole, keep all the dirt on
plywood or something, install a 4x4 post, and put all the dirt
back in the hole. Something just doesn't tally, though I have
seen it happen more than once.

Somethings just don't compute.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Harry K" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 14, 12:21 am, Terry wrote:
I have always heard that when the moon is in phases two things
can
happen.

You will either get dirt left over or not enough dirt to
recover the
hole.

Well yesterday I had plenty left over. I am glad of that.

When I dig, I always have just enough dirt (heaped up) to fill
it back
in and it will be almost level when it sinks. But then I use
tarps to
pile the spill on - no loss of dirt and it is a _lot_ easier to
backfill from a tarp than from a pile on grass.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Dang. Last time I dug out the septic tank I forgot to plant a 4x4
post in it when back filling. :) Actually, noone mentioned planting
a post in the hole.

Harry K