DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   kitchen faucet not working but sprayer is working (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194879-kitchen-faucet-not-working-but-sprayer-working.html)

[email protected] March 12th 07 09:24 PM

kitchen faucet not working but sprayer is working

i have no water at my kitchen faucet, but the sprayer is working fine.
all other water in the house is fine. earlier, the water pressure in
the kitchen seemed lower than usual. any ideas?

professorpaul March 12th 07 09:52 PM

On Mar 12, 5:24 pm, wrote:
i have no water at my kitchen faucet, but the sprayer is working fine.
all other water in the house is fine. earlier, the water pressure in
the kitchen seemed lower than usual. any ideas?

There is a diverter in such faucets. It would appear that it is jambed
in the "sprayer" mode. See if you can pull it apart (unlikely) and
clean it. I assume you mean that when you turn on the valve, you only
get water out of the sprayer. I'd suggest replacing the spray head/
hose. You can get ones in your local hardware store. Just re-attach
the hose to the fitting on the faucet underneath. You will need a
"basin wrench" to reach the fitting. PITA job to get up under there.
Should take about 15 minutes.

Also, PLEASE only post once! grin

[email protected] March 12th 07 10:03 PM

On Mar 12, 4:52 pm, "professorpaul" wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:24 pm, wrote:

i have no water at my kitchen faucet, but the sprayer is working fine.
all other water in the house is fine. earlier, the water pressure in
the kitchen seemed lower than usual. any ideas?

There is a diverter in such faucets. It would appear that it is jambed
in the "sprayer" mode. See if you can pull it apart (unlikely) and
clean it. I assume you mean that when you turn on the valve, you only
get water out of the sprayer. I'd suggest replacing the spray head/
hose. You can get ones in your local hardware store. Just re-attach
the hose to the fitting on the faucet underneath. You will need a
"basin wrench" to reach the fitting. PITA job to get up under there.
Should take about 15 minutes.

Also, PLEASE only post once! grin

Thanks much for the info. Will try your suggestions. Sorry about the
triple postings. Looked like my computer was "stuck" trying to send
it, but it wasn't. : )

Joseph Meehan March 12th 07 10:19 PM

wrote:
i have no water at my kitchen faucet, but the sprayer is working fine.
all other water in the house is fine. earlier, the water pressure in
the kitchen seemed lower than usual. any ideas?

Before you work on the sprayer, there are two other possible areas.
First is the aerator on the faucet. They can become clogged. Unscrew the
thing on the end and see if it works then. If it does it just needs to be
cleaned or replaced. There is also a diverter valve. in the faucet that
switches between the sprayer and the faucet. Take a good look at what you
have and make sure you have the brand name. You can then get parts from the
hardware store to replace that valve. You can also rebuild the entire valve
assembly for just a few dollars. It is also possible the spray head itself
is defective and the shut off there is not working.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Jeff Wisnia March 12th 07 11:37 PM

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:

i have no water at my kitchen faucet, but the sprayer is working fine.
all other water in the house is fine. earlier, the water pressure in
the kitchen seemed lower than usual. any ideas?

Before you work on the sprayer, there are two other possible areas.
First is the aerator on the faucet. They can become clogged. Unscrew the
thing on the end and see if it works then. If it does it just needs to be
cleaned or replaced. There is also a diverter valve. in the faucet that
switches between the sprayer and the faucet. Take a good look at what you
have and make sure you have the brand name. You can then get parts from the
hardware store to replace that valve. You can also rebuild the entire valve
assembly for just a few dollars. It is also possible the spray head itself
is defective and the shut off there is not working.

Agreed right up to your last sentence Joseph.

He wrote "the sprayer is working fine". I'd expect he would have written
something about it "being on all the time" if the shut off wasn't
working, huh?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Joseph Meehan March 13th 07 01:31 AM

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Likely you are right.

Jeff

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Edwin Pawlowski March 13th 07 01:58 AM

kitchen faucet not working but sprayer is working

"professorpaul" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 12, 5:24 pm, wrote:
i have no water at my kitchen faucet, but the sprayer is working fine.
all other water in the house is fine. earlier, the water pressure in
the kitchen seemed lower than usual. any ideas?

There is a diverter in such faucets. It would appear that it is jambed
in the "sprayer" mode. See if you can pull it apart (unlikely) and
clean it. I assume you mean that when you turn on the valve, you only
get water out of the sprayer. I'd suggest replacing the spray head/
hose.

Replace the hose only as a last resort. Most likely the diverter and the
work is done from above. Depending on the brand, you can usually pull out
the old cartridge and drop in a new one.

mm March 15th 07 04:50 AM

kitchen faucet not working but sprayer is working

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:37:40 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:

[...]

He's not a professional writer.