DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dryer is no longer spinning (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/194815-dryer-no-longer-spinning.html)

[email protected] March 12th 07 03:00 AM

Dryer is no longer spinning

ABout 1 week ago, the dryer was not drying clothes as well as before
so the plastic ducting in the rear was replaced with an aluminum
(bendable) 4 inch duct. 1 week later, the dryer turns on and heat is
generated but the tumbler is no longer tumbling. Before calling a
repair company, is there something to try (without actually opening it
up)? Any tips would be great.

jackson March 12th 07 03:07 AM

Dryer is no longer spinning

happend to mention that:
ABout 1 week ago, the dryer was not drying clothes as well as before
so the plastic ducting in the rear was replaced with an aluminum
(bendable) 4 inch duct. 1 week later, the dryer turns on and heat is
generated but the tumbler is no longer tumbling. Before calling a
repair company, is there something to try (without actually opening it
up)? Any tips would be great.

First thing to check on is the belt that turns the drum. An easy check is
WITH THE DRYER OFF AND UNPLUGGED try spinning the drum with your hand. If
it spins real easy, as if with no real resistance, good chance the belt is
either worn, broken, or off the pulley on the motor.

For more info, and to order a belt look he

www.repairclinic.com

and no I don't work for them! Great place though.....

mm March 12th 07 03:20 AM

Dryer is no longer spinning

On 11 Mar 2007 20:00:11 -0700, wrote:

ABout 1 week ago, the dryer was not drying clothes as well as before
so the plastic ducting in the rear was replaced with an aluminum
(bendable) 4 inch duct.

That's a good thing, but when you looked at the plastic duct, was it
clogged or crushed?

1 week later, the dryer turns on and heat is
generated but the tumbler is no longer tumbling. Before calling a

Is there a belt? Does the belt need replacing? Does the motor that
drives the tumbler turn?

repair company, is there something to try (without actually opening it
up)?

Probably not. Is there a lint filter in the mahcine? Have you cleaned
the lint filter? Mine whistles when it's full, but like anything
else, I suppose the whistling could fail.

Haven't heard of this happening, but I also wonder if there is a duct
before or after the lint filter that could get clogged, maybe if the
machine were run for a while with the filter not all the way in. Does
warm air blow out of the lint filter hole when the lint filter is not
in place (You should only need 5 seconds to tell. I don't want to clog
that internal duct, if there is one.)

Any tips would be great.

[email protected] March 12th 07 08:31 AM

o just reposition the belt or replace it.

On 11 Mar 2007 20:00:11 -0700, wrote:

ABout 1 week ago, the dryer was not drying clothes as well as before
so the plastic ducting in the rear was replaced with an aluminum
(bendable) 4 inch duct. 1 week later, the dryer turns on and heat is
generated but the tumbler is no longer tumbling. Before calling a
repair company, is there something to try (without actually opening it
up)? Any tips would be great.

The belt may have slipped off. Is there an access door on the lower
end of the dryer? Does the top of the dryer lift off? If so just
reposition the belt or replace it.

[email protected] March 12th 07 06:18 PM

o just reposition the belt or replace it.

All very good tips. Thanks everyone. I think this one is beyond me and
have called in the expert. So there is another lint trap inside the
machine besides the one that requires cleaning after each load? Or did
I misunderstand?

There is no door on the front lower panel and nor can I pop the top
portion off to take a look at the belt. Hope the repair man does not
have to get access from the rear.

[email protected] March 12th 07 06:25 PM

o just reposition the belt or replace it.

Update: Managed to get the top of the dryer to pop up. There were 2
clips that needed a screwdriver to unlock the clips. The thin belt
that should be wrapped around the drum has snapped. Called the
repaiman anyway but thanks for all the tips. Made me do some more
reading and curiosity made me try to open the thing. Whatdaya know!? :)

mm March 12th 07 09:12 PM

On 12 Mar 2007 11:18:29 -0700, wrote:

All very good tips. Thanks everyone. I think this one is beyond me and
have called in the expert. So there is another lint trap inside the
machine besides the one that requires cleaning after each load? Or did
I misunderstand?

No, I just meant the one you're supposed to clean. It seems to me
mine has some sort of vent feeding it and going from it, but my screen
is about a foot long and I haven't had occasion to check with a dental
mirror or anything.

Some dryers have this filter just inside the door, on the bottom. Mine
has it on the top rigth of the outside. Maybe others have it other
places.

There is no door on the front lower panel and nor can I pop the top
portion off to take a look at the belt. Hope the repair man does not
have to get access from the rear.

Can you just pull it away from the wall. If it is electric the cord
moves easily.

jackson March 13th 07 12:27 AM

o just reposition the belt or replace it.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Update: Managed to get the top of the dryer to pop up. There were 2
clips that needed a screwdriver to unlock the clips. The thin belt
that should be wrapped around the drum has snapped. Called the
repaiman anyway but thanks for all the tips. Made me do some more
reading and curiosity made me try to open the thing. Whatdaya know!? :)

Your over half way there - now that the top is off look down at the bottom
of the front of the dryer. Typically there are a couple of screws that
remove the front, or sometimes they are under the lid on the front panel.
Once the front is of changing the belt is a snap!

If you can't unplug the thing be sure the breaker is off, and test it to
make sure it is getting no power though before you start ripping into it!