Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advice re roofing fiasco

Back in May of 2006, we had our house in Olympia, Washington, reroofed
by a local roofing company with 40 year composite for around $8k. They
came with good recommendations and seemed to have done a good job on our
roof. About 3 weeks ago, we noticed water dripping through the drywall
just inside the main entrance of the house. We called the roofing
company's number in hopes of arranging a repair of the leaking roof. We
were shocked to get another roofing business, who said that they had
recently bought the business from the roofing company we did business
with. They said that they were not responsible for the work of the
previous roofing business. We then called the cell number we were given
by the original roofing company owner. A child answered and said that
her father was in jail and no longer in the roofing business.
Subsequent calls to the cell number only got an automated message saying
that the cell memory was full and could not take any more messages.

Besides hiring another roofing company to fix the leak, what can we do?
Is there any way to have the repair done by the original roofing
company or at least have them pay for the repair? Can we take him to
small claims court? Should we involve our home insurance company?
Thanks for any advice or suggestions.