Posted to alt.home.repair

Default i bought a table saw

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is. Should
I open it or take it back? I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could help
me. : -)

I've seen dados on tv and the ideas is interesting. Is that like a ___ on a
scale of 1-10 for difficulty?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 01:10:19 -0800, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is. Should
I open it or take it back? I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could help
me. : -)

I've seen dados on tv and the ideas is interesting. Is that like a ___ on a
scale of 1-10 for difficulty?

Forget about the dado unless you are doing a production run. Lots of
set up time for a simple average hobby job. A router for cutting
channels is far more convenient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is.
Should I open it or take it back? I'm about as knowledgable about table
saws as George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who
could help me. : -)

I've seen dados on tv and the ideas is interesting. Is that like a ___ on
a scale of 1-10 for difficulty?

What model? Sears has them from about $129 to $1000. The cheap ones are OK
for some work, but not very good for furniture building. The cheap ones
cannot take a dado blade anyway. A good dado blade is in the $200 range.
Check out www.infinitytools.com for good blades.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

Forget about the dado unless you are doing a production run. Lots of
set up time for a simple average hobby job. A router for cutting
channels is far more convenient.

If you are making a half dozen tenons, or four long rabbets, the dado blade
makes it fast and accurate. Lots of choices that can get the same job done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you bought a simple 'blade mounted directly to motor' type of
(benchtop) saw and are looking for a dado blade, might I suggest a
'short arbor adjustable' type. Unless you have a contractor or
cabinet saw you probably have a short arbor, and it takes some umph to
swing a full stacked dado. The only real downside to an adjustable is
a slight crown in the cut. From what you stated being a complete
newbie to woodworking, that really wont matter.
Have fun and keep your fingers away from the sharp thing that spins at
a high rate of speed.
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is. Should
I open it or take it back? I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could help
me. : -)

I've seen dados on tv and the ideas is interesting. Is that like a ___ on a
scale of 1-10 for difficulty?

Throw it back and get a real President, err, tablesaw. Not too many
good cabinet choices under $1000, but good brands include Delta,
Powermatic, and General. Dados can be cut with a dado set or router
bit. A stacked dado set is about $150. Stay away from Sears unless
you are intested in screw drivers, wrenches, or other hand tools
without moving parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is. Should
I open it or take it back?

Why'd you get it in the first place?

I got no idea what you might wanna do with it, and scant idea which
Sears table-saw you got, but ... why not set it up and investigate?
This assumes you have shop-space and some time on your hands ...

I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could help
me. : -)

A table saw is only moderately more complex than GWB's mental processes.
You'll likely see much of it just setting it up. There's a cradle
for raising/lowering the blade. Another for angling the blade. Pay
attention because there are serious safety issues.

I've seen dados on tv and the ideas is interesting. Is that like a ___ on a
scale of 1-10 for difficulty?

First familiarize yourself with basic TS operation. Get a feel for rip
cuts, get a feel for crosscuts. Then study dado designs.

Good Luck,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

: -) Good advice. I need to find out the name of that sharp thing right
away. The idea of a direct drive vs belt drive (is it?) is interesting. That
came up in the discussion but I don't know which I bought. I'm convinced
that a router will be good for me for the near future.

"Mark S" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you bought a simple 'blade mounted directly to motor' type of
(benchtop) saw and are looking for a dado blade, might I suggest a
'short arbor adjustable' type. Unless you have a contractor or
cabinet saw you probably have a short arbor, and it takes some umph to
swing a full stacked dado. The only real downside to an adjustable is
a slight crown in the cut. From what you stated being a complete
newbie to woodworking, that really wont matter.
Have fun and keep your fingers away from the sharp thing that spins at
a high rate of speed.
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

for raising/lowering the blade. Another for angling the blade. Pay
attention because there are serious safety issues.

Thanks for the reminder. Stores are willing to sell you a very potentially
hazardous product with little or no training. Table saws can take off a few
fingers or even your wrist in fraction of a second. One slip and . . . . .
..

Learn proper technique
Use a push stick
Never use the miter and fence at the same time as that is a potential for
kickback
Never get your hands near the blade.
Be sure the fence is set up properly
Never reach across the blade
Never try to move a piece of wood away until the blade stops turning
Never force wood that is binding as you push it.
If in a garage or shed, be sure the phone is within reach. I keep a portable
or my cell phone in my pocket.

There are many more things to check to be safe so take your time and read
about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is.
Should
I open it or take it back?

Why'd you get it in the first place?

I'm weird. After I get a tool or a new material, I get ideas about how to
use them. I've been trying to talk myself into buying a box stapler for a
few months because I think there are a lot of things I could do with double
think cardboard. But the ideas won't come until I can actually do something
with the tool. I bought some netting for one project and all of a sudde
there is netting in every room in the house. I think this is boring for you,
but that is part of the answer.

I'm going to cut latice to enclose the sides of a pation and Home Depot
charges an arm and a leg (another reminder to be careful with the table saw
: -) ... anyway I'm going to cut lattice. The idea of being able to bevel a
8 - 12 ft piece of lumber just sounds cool and full of possibilities, too.

The model I bought is 24885 and is direct drive. I think setting it up and
investigating is a good idea. Thanks for the advice to all of you. It's cool
when a newbie can get help without having to feel like a total fool.

I got no idea what you might wanna do with it, and scant idea which
Sears table-saw you got, but ... why not set it up and investigate?
This assumes you have shop-space and some time on your hands ...

I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could
help
me. : -)

A table saw is only moderately more complex than GWB's mental processes.
You'll likely see much of it just setting it up. There's a cradle
for raising/lowering the blade. Another for angling the blade. Pay
attention because there are serious safety issues.

That I will do. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is.
Should
I open it or take it back? I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could
help
me. : -)

I've seen dados on tv and the ideas is interesting. Is that like a ___ on
scale of 1-10 for difficulty?

Throw it back and get a real President, err, tablesaw. Not too many
good cabinet choices under $1000, but good brands include Delta,
Powermatic, and General. Dados can be cut with a dado set or router
bit. A stacked dado set is about $150. Stay away from Sears unless
you are intested in screw drivers, wrenches, or other hand tools
without moving parts.

Thanks. I didn't know how expensive dado sets were. That does steer me
towards the router bit. How do I attach it to my table saw? Just kidding.
: -)

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

Learn proper technique
Use a push stick
Never use the miter and fence at the same time as that is a potential for
kickback
Never get your hands near the blade.
Be sure the fence is set up properly
Never reach across the blade
Never try to move a piece of wood away until the blade stops turning
Never force wood that is binding as you push it.
If in a garage or shed, be sure the phone is within reach. I keep a portable
or my cell phone in my pocket.

There are many more things to check to be safe so take your time and read
about them.

Edwin kids not. This is all good advice.

From personal experience:

Always test a feed without power. If the wood binds, even a little,
something's wrong. Keep some wax paper handy, rub on wood and table
top as necessary to make feeds smooth and easy.

Don't apply hand pressure directly toward the blade. Always
think what'd happen if your hand slipped and/or the work-piece
flew up in the air.

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:32:34 -0800, "AKA gray asphalt"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Sears 10" with a little do hickey to tell me what the blade angle is.
Should
I open it or take it back?

Why'd you get it in the first place?

I'm weird. After I get a tool or a new material, I get ideas about how to
use them. I've been trying to talk myself into buying a box stapler for a
few months because I think there are a lot of things I could do with double
think cardboard. But the ideas won't come until I can actually do something
with the tool. I bought some netting for one project and all of a sudde
there is netting in every room in the house. I think this is boring for you,
but that is part of the answer.

No problem ...

I'm going to cut latice to enclose the sides of a pation and Home Depot
charges an arm and a leg (another reminder to be careful with the table saw
: -) ... anyway I'm going to cut lattice.

You may find this to be a very laborious task. Wood of proper thickness
is available?

The idea of being able to bevel a
8 - 12 ft piece of lumber just sounds cool and full of possibilities, too.

This should be practical after you get the hang of the device. You'd
need an outfeed guide of some sort.

The model I bought is 24885 and is direct drive. I think setting it up and
investigating is a good idea. Thanks for the advice to all of you. It's cool
when a newbie can get help without having to feel like a total fool.

Hey, everbody has to start somewhere. Lucky ones had a dad or
uncle to show 'em how.

There are 'leventy-seven zillion "project plans" that use a
TS. After you've ripped and crosscut some test stuff, you
might wanna shop for a nice, simple plan ...

I got no idea what you might wanna do with it, and scant idea which
Sears table-saw you got, but ... why not set it up and investigate?
This assumes you have shop-space and some time on your hands ...

I'm about as knowledgable about table saws as
George Bush is about .... nevermind, I might **** off someone who could
help
me. : -)

A table saw is only moderately more complex than GWB's mental processes.
You'll likely see much of it just setting it up. There's a cradle
for raising/lowering the blade. Another for angling the blade. Pay
attention because there are serious safety issues.

That I will do. Thanks

Priority Uno.

Good Luck,
Puddin'

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim."
- Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow. Honest, that's a great list.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

[...]

Okay, bought the lathe--now what? [email protected] Woodturning 10 December 3rd 06 06:23 AM
Protective Coat for newly bought dining table User Home Repair 28 June 5th 06 04:32 PM
Bought a Dyson :-) Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Home Ownership 4 April 10th 06 07:44 PM
I've just bought Mike Woodworking 16 February 22nd 05 05:40 AM
OK I bought the Ryobi BTS20 Movable Table Saw and Here's the Scoop buck Woodworking 3 January 19th 05 08:24 PM