DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   PATIO DOOR (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/192871-patio-door.html)

[email protected] February 20th 07 06:09 PM

PATIO DOOR

I am renovating my screened in patio. The foundation is slab concrete.
I want to install a patio door where there is now wood framed screen
windows. I know how to frame it. My question is in regards to the
floor. Can I install the door directly onto the concrete slab? Should
I put a subfloor under it? How could I secure the sill to the concrete
slab? Thanks for the help....

Oren February 20th 07 07:52 PM

PATIO DOOR

On 20 Feb 2007 10:09:52 -0800, wrote:

I am renovating my screened in patio. The foundation is slab concrete.
I want to install a patio door where there is now wood framed screen
windows. I know how to frame it. My question is in regards to the
floor. Can I install the door directly onto the concrete slab? Should
I put a subfloor under it? How could I secure the sill to the concrete
slab? Thanks for the help....

I lay a couple of "large" beads of silicone "after" the area is
cleaned and I pre-test the door and know it will fit. Carefully set
the jamb in and not disturb the silicone. The instructions coming
with the door will explain what is actually required in your case.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

dreamchaser February 21st 07 02:38 AM

PATIO DOOR

Consider french doors, which will come with an aluminum sill plate
which does not have to be anchored. Sliding patio doors suck in my
opinion.

If you have to anchor to the concrete, no problem, just make sure
there are pre-drilled holes in the bottom framing, set your door, shim
it and all that, then drill the concrete with a hammer drill 1/4"
carbide masonry bit, pound in plastic anchors and screw in flat head
screws.