Posted to alt.home.repair

Default faux painting: striping

We're planning to put up a chair rail in our dining room and I think the
walls need some definition. Because the area is so small, I've decided to
do the faux finishing of adding stripes in the same color but in different
sheens.

FIRST QUESTION: I currently have a satin finish on the walls - do you think
I can go ahead and tape off my stripes and paint every second one with
semi-gloss/glossy or should I repaint the section in flat paint first?

SECOND QUESTION: should I use semi-gloss or glossy paint?

Has anyone done this before and if so, can you give me some tips!

Thanks...
CC

Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine did exactly what you described, and it really looks
great. The paint was flat and semi-gloss (eggshell?) in perfectly
matching colors.

You could paint the stripes onto the existing paint if you can
perfectly match the color. Any difference and it wouldn't look as
nice since it is sort of an 'illusion' effect. 90% of the job is
masking the lines so why not just paint a fresh base coat?

-rev

On Feb 11, 12:59 am, "Cory" wrote:
We're planning to put up a chair rail in our dining room and I think the
walls need some definition. Because the area is so small, I've decided to
do the faux finishing of adding stripes in the same color but in different
sheens.

FIRST QUESTION: I currently have a satin finish on the walls - do you think
I can go ahead and tape off my stripes and paint every second one with
semi-gloss/glossy or should I repaint the section in flat paint first?

SECOND QUESTION: should I use semi-gloss or glossy paint?

Has anyone done this before and if so, can you give me some tips!

Thanks...
CC

Striping/Painting wood Railing [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 6th 06 04:38 AM
FAUX FINISH TOY CHEST J T Woodworking 0 December 28th 05 10:58 PM
Faux wood blind recommendations [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 28th 05 01:46 AM
(Faux?) Wood Flooring Question Suzie-Q Home Repair 3 April 30th 05 03:20 PM
World's Best Natural Sea Sponges Available From Tarpon Springs, FL Faux Painting, Sponge Painting, Home Decor tarponspongecompany Home Repair 0 June 8th 04 04:43 AM