Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Making an underwater electrical splice

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:50:56 -0600, Gerry Atrick
wrote:

One idea I have is to put some hose over the cord before I make the
splice, then slide the hose over the completed splice and pump the
hose full of pure silicone caulk around the cord, which will extend
several inches on both sides of the splice.

Anyone want to buy a stupid mule?

The mice in my house seem to like similar things. Especially the thin
cords for lightweight headsets, and sometimes 110volt electric cords,
and microcassettes, like used in phone machines and dictaphones.

If you can't find the undwater splice that rbm mentions, you could
also try shrink tape or silicone tape it is also called. HD has it
weba order only for about 4 dollars a roll PLUS 4 dollars shipping.

I also got some at a hamfest pretty cheap, but I go to lots of those
things and this is the first that had any.

You stretch the tape a lot while wrapping it on, and it grabs to
itself when you lay it on, and after a few days it is like one big
blob of rubber, incuding the cord it is wrapped to. I haven't tested
but I would think it is waterproof.

The best would be a new cord, but clearly the heater is meant to water
proof. I wonder if it is possible to open it up and close it in a
waterproof manner. You could get a good idea by opening up one of the
old ones. It's good that you saved them, for this, and that once you
get the hang of fixing them, you'll fix them all.