Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing clogged sink drain

Hello Folks ..

I have back-to-back bathroom sinks (sharing a common wall) which had a
slow drain clog. To fix it, I removed the stopper valve and then used
a plunger. In the process, I seem to have made the clog really
stubborn, now the water does not move at all. This is what I have
tried since ..
- removed both p-traps and cleaned them. This did not help, so the
clog is further down the line.
- Tried to use a snake from opening (since p-trap is removed), but
have not been able to make the snake go down .. instead it finds its
way in the other bathroom sink p-trap.
- next, used baking soda + vinegar trick .. but it has not helped
- filled up both sinks with hot water, left it overnight, hoping the
weight would eventually clear the clog, but no luck.
- even went to the roof (single story house). There is one vent --
fairly wide. Each bathroom has toilet, shower and sink, which are all
connected to the vent (I am assuming .. as there is no other vent
around). The snake is probably short (15') and did not reach the
clog.

I had called a plumber .. he took a look and said he needs to cut open
the pipe going into the wall so he can easily reach the vent. I have
doubts about whether he knew what he was doing .. so I sent him back
(he was going to charge $120).
None of the other drains in the house are clogging .. all flow freely
with a nice swirl. I don't want to use harsh chemicals .. drain pipes
are original .. about 45 years old.

There has to be an easier way to fix this .. any ideas ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 7, 11:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

either a longer snake through the vent , assuming the vent is reaching
the right pipe.

Personally I would try something like Drano , or Liquid plumber , and
hope the blockage is something that will break up.

If you can measure the amount of water it takes to fill the sinks you
might work out how far away the blockage is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your vent pipe goes straight up from the drain drill a hole in the wall
above the P trap with a hole saw and cut into the pipe and use a hole saw
and go in that way . Use a automobile freeze plug to plug the vent hole If
you have a two story make sure it don't run down this vent pipe or the plug
will hang stuff up The thing about drain chemicals if the don't work then
you have a sink full of acid to compound the problem. They are the answer to
a slow drain not the best for a clogged one .
Speaking from 20 yrs experience as public housing service mgr 525 apts
A even better alternative is to cut the wall open and install a yee with a
cleanout but that requires drywall skills as well
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry and a Cat named Dub wrote:
If your vent pipe goes straight up from the drain drill a hole in the
wall above the P trap with a hole saw and cut into the pipe and use
a hole saw and go in that way . Use a automobile freeze plug to plug
the vent hole If you have a two story make sure it don't run down
this vent pipe or the plug will hang stuff up The thing about drain
chemicals if the don't work then you have a sink full of acid to
compound the problem. They are the answer to a slow drain not the
best for a clogged one . Speaking from 20 yrs experience as public
housing service mgr 525 apts
A even better alternative is to cut the wall open and install a yee
with a cleanout but that requires drywall skills as well
wrote in message
ups.com...

Larry and the cat make a lot of sense.

--
Joseph Meehan (and the cats Dr. Watson and Capt. Hastings)

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clarification might be in order The freeze plug is a rubber one that
tightening the bolt will expand it . They also sell these in the plumbing
sections of various stores
wrote in message
[...]

Help with a clogged sink? comcastss news groups Home Repair 6 January 31st 07 01:14 AM
Clogged sink RonD Home Repair 0 November 30th 06 04:33 AM
Clogged toilet drain Stormin Mormon Home Repair 11 September 12th 06 04:16 AM
clogged bathroom sink rob Home Repair 10 September 8th 06 04:39 AM
clogged bathroom sink rob Home Ownership 9 September 8th 06 04:39 AM