Posted to alt.home.repair

Default holmes on homes brown insulation?

Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this.
There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then.
I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like
fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

thanks,

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Actually it has a green cast to the insulation but doesn't show up well
under the TV lighting. It is mineral wool that is firmly pressed into batts,
not loose and fluffy as it used to be many years ago. They make a special
extra heavy sound insulation as well. The company is Roxul. Their website is
www.roxul.com

"LayPerson Tom" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this.
There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then.
I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like
fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

thanks,

tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Actually it has a green cast to the insulation but doesn't show up well
under the TV lighting. It is mineral wool that is firmly pressed into
batts, not loose and fluffy as it used to be many years ago. They make a
special extra heavy sound insulation as well. The company is Roxul. Their
website is www.roxul.com

"LayPerson Tom" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this.
There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then.
I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like
fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

thanks,

tom

Like felt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:36:07 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Actually it has a green cast to the insulation but doesn't show up well
under the TV lighting. It is mineral wool that is firmly pressed into batts,
not loose and fluffy as it used to be many years ago. They make a special
extra heavy sound insulation as well. The company is Roxul. Their website is
www.roxul.com

Noticed that if you select America, you only get commercial and
industrial applications. However, if you select Canda, you get
residential as well.

Is this stuff safe for home application, and unfinished rooms?

tom

"LayPerson Tom" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this.
There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then.
I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like
fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

thanks,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Actually it has a green cast to the insulation but doesn't show up well
under the TV lighting. It is mineral wool that is firmly pressed into batts,
not loose and fluffy as it used to be many years ago. They make a special
extra heavy sound insulation as well. The company is Roxul. Their website is
www.roxul.com

BTW, forgot to say thanks!

Tom

"LayPerson Tom" wrote in message
news
Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this.
There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then.
I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like
fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

thanks,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 12:35:41 -0500, LayPerson Tom
wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if any "Holms On Homes" fans can fill me in on this.
There is a brown/beige batts of insulation that he uses now and then.
I noticed he uses no gloves, mask, or glasses. I doesn't appear like
fiberglass, and I'm curious, what is it?

I've been using it. It's made from rocks (so the Roxul sales rep at
Home depot said). It is fire proof and it repels water.

I'm very sensitive to fiberglass insulation, so Roxul is a blessing
for me. It's a bit more expensive than fiberglass; however, it has a
higher R value (R14 as opposed to R12 for fiberglass).

It is quite heavy, but stays in place when doing a ceiling.

A bread knife is used for cutting. Or you can by a Roxul specific
knife for about $5.00. It is very sharp - have to be careful.

The instructions state a mask should be used.

As a home remodeller I'm very pleased with it.

Regards, Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

You are all very close. Most ( not all) of the Roxul products are made from
lava rock. The rock is heated to an incredible temperature and the filaments
are spun into mats or bats ( not sure of the correct word) .The stuff is
mainly used as fire proofing material and has outstanding acoustic
suppression properties. Best of all as mentioned is that you can handle it
with your bare hands.

Claude in Canada