Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to clean wood floor?

I'm moving into a new apartment that has wood floors. The wood floors have
a layer of dirt of them (you can't see it, but a wipe with a paper towel
shows tons of dirt).

I read wet mopping is out of the question, so what's the approach? I'm
going to try vacuuming and see how that works, but can I use a damp
microfiber mop or something? I'm thinking a little dampness either will be
required or will just make it easier.

tia, Patrick

--
Remove both XX's from e-mail to reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 10:03 am, Patrick Maloney
wrote:
I'm moving into a new apartment that has wood floors. The wood floors have
a layer of dirt of them (you can't see it, but a wipe with a paper towel
shows tons of dirt).

I read wet mopping is out of the question, so what's the approach? I'm
going to try vacuuming and see how that works, but can I use a damp
microfiber mop or something? I'm thinking a little dampness either will be
required or will just make it easier.

tia, Patrick

--
Remove both XX's from e-mail to reply.

If the floors are varnished , you can use a wet mop on them , let dry
and then wax.

Dont go wild with the water. A mop, wet , then wrung out is good
enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patrick Maloney wrote:
I'm moving into a new apartment that has wood floors. The wood
floors have a layer of dirt of them (you can't see it, but a wipe
with a paper towel shows tons of dirt).

I read wet mopping is out of the question, so what's the approach?
I'm going to try vacuuming and see how that works, but can I use a
damp microfiber mop or something? I'm thinking a little dampness
either will be required or will just make it easier.

tia, Patrick

Use a damp mop, not soaking. You just want to avoid standing water. If
it makes you fell better, and frankly it is not a bad idea. get an assistant
with as few old towels to wipe it up as you go.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, one hears this a lot, but every single article I have read
about caring for wood floors has specifically recommended *against*
Murphy's Oil Soap.

Jo Ann

"Patrick Maloney" wrote in messagenews:Xns98C6719F4F068patXXrickmalXXoneyho@6 6.250.146.128...

I'm moving into a new apartment that has wood floors. The wood floors
have
a layer of dirt of them (you can't see it, but a wipe with a paper towel
shows tons of dirt).

I read wet mopping is out of the question, so what's the approach? I'm
going to try vacuuming and see how that works, but can I use a damp
microfiber mop or something? I'm thinking a little dampness either will
be
required or will just make it easier.

tia, Patrick

--
Remove both XX's from e-mail to reply.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

I spray on a solution of cider vinegar and water (you can use regular vinegar
but I like the smell of the cider vinegar) and wipe it off with one of those
wide faced hardwood floor mops. Quikie makes one. The face of the mop is
covered with a terry cloth liner/ The idea is to just mist the floor. I have
also used the Zep brand hardwood floor cleaner with good results.
All theabove material sans the cider vinegar can be found at Homies.
I have red oak 3/4" HW floors covered with an oil based poly.