Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Internet Explorer hijacked

On Jan 23, 7:36 pm, Jason Johuque wrote:
My Internet Explorer appears to be "hijacked". It looks very different
from last month. Is there any software out there that might help fix it?

As many others have said, you probably installed Internet Explorer 7 on
a recent Windows Update. Follow their instructions to roll your
computer back to IE6.

And change your Windows Update settings (Start-Control
Panel-Automatic Updates) and make sure you have it set to "Notify me
but don't automatically download or install updates". Then, when you're
notified about Windows updates, check to make sure you're not getting
updated to IE7. If you do get that one again, uncheck the selection and
check the box "Don't ask me about this again" (or some such).

I would agree with Edwin Pawlowski that IE7 does have some nifty
features, no doubt, but even the Microsoft jihadists in the IS
department where I currently work have told people in no uncertain not
to upgrade to IE7 at work and, in fact, have blocked the IE7 update to
Windows at the server level. It apparently has more than a few problems
and security holes yet to be patched. But it is a beautiful
interface...

Still, I use Firefox for everyday use because it avoids more problems
than it creates (can't say that about IE), and it has FABULOUS
enhancements (called extensions) that allow me to spellcheck my typing
in forums and web forms, block in-page advertising if I so desire, stay
updated with AccuWeather, use tabs instead of separate windows for
browsing multiple sites simultaneously...there are literally hundreds,
perhaps thousands, of enhancements that make using Firefox orders of
magnitude more flexible and powerful than Internet Explorer.

Finally, PLEASE don't take HeyBub's comment about voiding your warranty
if you use Firefox seriously...I think it was meant as a joke. You will
not void your computer's warranty by using alternative web browsing
applications such as Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, etc.

Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you were giving your child the sex talk, you'd tell them not to
have sex. If they must do it though, you'd tell them to use
protection.

Firefox http://www.getfirefox.com is equivalent to not having sex. I
highly recommend it.

If you't not going to use firefox,use protection. Thats IE7.

For the love of God though, don't use IE6.

If you're going to stick with Microsoft propitiatory crap that doesn't
conform to web standards, then at least do it with a safer browser.

~ Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "MikeNereson" wrote:

If you't not going to use firefox,use protection. Thats IE7.

For the love of God though, don't use IE6.

If you're going to stick with Microsoft propitiatory crap that doesn't
conform to web standards, then at least do it with a safer browser.

And you think IE7 is safe because -- ?

Given the company's attitude toward security, the assumption is that
*anything* coming out of MonkeySoft has major security flaws, until proven
otherwise. IE7 just hasn't been out long enough for the flaws that it
certainly, inevitably contains to have been thoroughly exploited yet. Just
wait, though.

--
Regards,